Author Topic: Italian Birth Record  (Read 823 times)

Offline Mary50

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Italian Birth Record
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joey

A few observations from what I’ve learned in doing genealogy research in the south of Italy for the last 25 years.
As far as the witnesses being the father, I can’t say, but I would guess that they were just a couple of men that the midwife knew.
It’s possible that the father might have been the priest (it happened more times that you’d think) or a high ranking official.  The law was that unless the couple was married, the father’s name was not given to the child.  Since she kept the baby, it’s possible that everyone knew who the father was.
That’s odd that Giuseppe’s wife listed her uncle as her father.  I would guess that her father passed away and then her mother married her deceased husband’s brother, which was expected if a brother was “available”.  So, her uncle would become her father.  Do you have Mary Rose’s parents’ marriage record – can you post it here?
As far as Giuseppe’s father also being a Giuseppe.  I don’t know when the law was enacted, or if it applied to all of Italy, but I’ve learned that fathers could not name sons after themselves.
Did Giuseppe marry in Marsicovetere?  If he did, he would have had to produce a birth record, and the marriage record would have reflected that he was of “unnamed” father.  If he married outside Italy, then the rules were not so strict, and people made up information just to make the process move more smoothly. 
These are just some observations from years of research.  Sorry I can’t be any more helpful.
Mary

Offline M4CKA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Italian Birth Record
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 March 24 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mary,

Sorry for the delayed response I've been very busy recently. Do you know how I would be able to find names of any priests or high-ranking officials in Marsicovetere in 1878? I think it would be worth looking if there was somewhere where I could find that information. I had my father take a Y-DNA test through Family Tree DNA in 2017 but never really paid much attention to it. Now because of this brick wall, I know that it could be useful so I checked it out today and he has a match who is from Marsico Nuovo which is just 10 miles from Marsicovetere. His surname and the surname of his paternal line is Votta. I've seen a lot of Votta's in the Marsicovetere records so that could really be Giuseppe's father's surname. As for his wife Mary Rose, they married in Dublin on the 30th of May 1900. The man Mary listed as he father, Francis (Her uncle), died in 1892 so it couldn't have been a case of her mother re-marrying her uncle. Her biological mother died young in 1891 and her father re-married the year after. I forgot to mention in my last reply that although her father was from Marsicovetere, he and his brother's married in Ireland and I think what you were referring to about marrying an "Available brother" was something that happened more commonly in Italy and not Ireland, so sorry for forgetting that. So it's still a baffling situation, but I will attach an image of her parent's marriage record as you requested and also her father's other marriage record from when he re-married. Her biological mother is Mary Ellen Murphy and her Step Mother is Annie Redmond. Thank you for all your help I am truly grateful.

Joey