Author Topic: Mornement in or around Hoxne and Southery C 1700  (Read 984 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mornement in or around Hoxne and Southery C 1700
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 January 24 02:44 GMT (UK) »
  Hi all , 

Sorry about the double posting.

Still no further advanced on this hunt.  So nothing online has proved useful.  As I am in Australia I can't help others in UK. or elsewhere as many are after this piece of information except through asking here.   

As the other post says , the Original Paris Registers would be the only possible place this might be. 

So obviously these are not easily accessible.  Ok another Brick wall to file. 

Thanks anyway your help is always appreciated.  Essnell.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi lli1133,
Thank you for your reply.  It's now after All the holidays so looking at this all again.  Here are some answers and some basic info  which I hope is not repetitive. 

It’s true that the name is most prevalent in Norfolk because one of John’s descendants moved there with his family to Garboldisham and the Neatishead areas near to Diss.  see below.  **

From 1600 onwards one finds all sorts of variations for the surname as it got miss interpreted . This has caused a lot of problems even in fairly recent times     i.e. Monument, Moniment, Marmant ,Marement, Maremont etc.. 

Not positive when John actually went to Hoxne. He ran a business there for many years and had childten there and they also married there . This was all around  Hoxne, Stradbroke. 

Several from this family are buried at  Hoxne  at  St Peter and St Pauls Church graveyard.
John’s son Robert Mornement 1749/50  lived in Hoxne all his life. He married in Brockdish, Norfolk to a lady from there . Jane Tennant.

He was a tailor and had several apprentices over time.
   **  The older son John born 1736 married Ann Rudd and they were at Garboldisham, Diss.  and  had 5 children there.   I don't know anything about when he either went to  or returned to Garbodisham.
He was also a tailor. 

I’ll try the Norfolk people about Katharine Monyment.  Is it possible she was from Whissonsett?

Thank you for your help. Essnell.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 January 24 13:21 GMT (UK) »
There does seem to be a connection to Diss with your Mornement ancestors, and that John born c1706 may have had settlement in Diss. On the Norfolk thread about this subject there was a settlement certificate in Hoxne regarding the family in Diss in 1741.

There is no certainty that John was born there in Diss, that may have been his last place of legal settlement before moving to Hoxne. But Diss is nearer the Thetford/Southery areas where it is suspected he was from.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 20 January 24 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Essnell. I’ve sent you a PM. With luck we might be able to establish whether there’s a Norfolk link.

There is an apprenticeship record for 9 Dec 1722 of John son of John Monument of Shipdham to Thos Hughes of Shipdham Taylr. Do you think this could be your John? He would be quite old for an apprentice but perhaps as Coombs suggests on the other thread he could have been born later than 1707.

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 January 24 21:08 GMT (UK) »
John Moniment (FreeReg)/Moriment (FindMyPast) bapt 8 May 1709, Shipdham, to John and Mary - transcriptions only.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 January 24 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi  coombs  and lli1133, thankyou both for the replies,

Coombs,     can you tell me if this Settlement Certificate was about the family moving from Diss to Hoxne or the opposite -  or was it that once John and Sarah married [1737] they got legal settlement in Diss. specifically Neatishead.

How could I view or acquire a copy of that Certificate?  Maybe I should  contact the Norfolk FHS people.  I still think the Thetford and Southerley areas are a possibility. 

lli1133   Read the messages, so far no response.  It's a waiting game. 
That apprenticeship   looks awfully positive given Coombs's  thought on a later birth date. Also James was a tailor.
He may have started as a junior or some such and then taken out the apprenticesiip at 13yrs old.
 The the birth records I should have seen at least in FindMyPast. 
  Back then the names were often written as sounded so it's very likely this is the right person. 

This is gradually making sense. 
Thank you both very much. 
 some follow up to do here.   I'll be back asap.

Essnell  :)

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 January 24 10:31 GMT (UK) »
John Moniment (FreeReg)/Moriment (FindMyPast) bapt 8 May 1709, Shipdham, to John and Mary - transcriptions only.

FreeREG is correct. FamilySearch has the original image (75 of 253) in its online collection of Norfolk parish registers (listed here).

As to the origin of the surname, speculation has linked it with Moneyman (e.g. Robert at Ranworth, Norfolk, c.1546, perhaps derived from a maker of coins) and with a variant of Monmouth (John de Monumeta in Gloucestershire, 1273).

David

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 January 24 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, t
Thank you for that image . It's fantastic.  Put it through the image manipulator and it was easy to read.

Date is the 8th "Mayy".  The 8 is as for then upside down and back to front ??  And the spelling of MAY.  Got to remember those things.

But that's proof of the child's existence.  one more piece of this puzzle.

Tkanks again .    Essnell.

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 January 24 10:38 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome Essnell. Your software has failed to reveal that the y after May is the first letter in ye 8th, representing the old thorn character (pronounced like th).

David