Author Topic: Census entry  (Read 588 times)

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Census entry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 January 24 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Suppose for example, that George Jones is the child of a first cousin - ie a first cousin once removed.

Mostly, people don't refer to a relative with that phrase, or as any other particular kind of cousin. If they know there is a cousin relationship of some kind, they will just say 'cousin' - and in any case there isn't room on the census page to be more specific
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Suppose for example, that George Jones is the child of a first cousin - ie a first cousin once removed.

Mostly, people don't refer to a relative with that phrase, or as any other particular kind of cousin. If they know there is a cousin relationship of some kind, they will just say 'cousin' - and in any case there isn't room on the census page to be more specific

Yes agree and age would have little to do with it.  I have relations  who are the gt gt grandchildren of my gt grandfather's brother.  We call ourselves cousins even though by age we are about 30 years apart. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 22:26 GMT (UK) »
The entry is a George Jones living with an Ellis family so he couldnt be a direct cousin?

The cousin of the wife of the householder completing the form? So a cousin in law but the form is not big enough to put something like this in. 

Where our family was known to be related or connected to another family my mother, for a short cut used to say they were 'relations'  or 'connections' or 'connected to our family' so she did not get involved with the second cousin twice removed etc. There was a difference in that our family usually expanded to include the relations of in laws. These were connections.  Relations were those at a distance but who were actually related even if some generations back. 

On a form she'd have probably put cousin or cousin in law (she was a genealogist)

Offline Shrop63

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 January 24 07:11 GMT (UK) »
I,ll get back with a ref number and check a later census thanks
Parton
Poole
Clare
Jones
Ellis