Author Topic: Agnes R Simpson  (Read 511 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes R Simpson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 January 24 22:42 GMT (UK) »

The birth certificate of grandson Alexander might also be interesting.

Alexander, born 1898 in Leith, gave his father's name as John Simpson. He made an application for a US passport (photo of him with wife and child is included). He looks to have made his life in Michigan, USA. Various documents support his details in the US.

From SP, the birth entry gives his mother's maiden name as Cameron. Not seeing a John Simpson/Cameron marriage that could fit so far.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 January 24 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I think John Simpson married Catherine "Kate" Cannon in 1897.

John Simpson died in 1933. His probate confirms his son John in Michigan.

Birth certificate for his Alexander in 1898 has mother as Cannon (image is available on an ANC tree). I think SP has mis-transcribed Cannon for Cameron.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 January 24 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Back to George Simpson and looking at his military record.
He attested in March 1900 in Edinburgh. As far as I can see, he did not go abroad until 9 Nov 1901 when he was sent to South Africa until 1904, and then to India, before returning home in Jan 1908. (He also served in WW1). In the 1901 census, he is in military barracks in Newcastle on Tyne.
I suppose he could potentially be the father of Agnes, if he had home leave during August of that year.

However, it seems more likely that Alexander Simpson born 1884 might be the father.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 January 24 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. I think we may have made a breakthrough as to where she was born and the story that she was illegitimate and adopted.

She and (Joseph) Harold Comery (B 1904) did emigrate to America via Canada in 1923 to Oregon and they married in Multnomah in 1925.

The next stage is I don't know how they met. Agnes worked in a distillery in Edinburgh (Mackinleys) and Harold was brought up in Long Eaton, Derbyshire in a wealthy family. He would not have served in the army as his brothers did, and one died at the Somme, as he was just too young.

Thanks again thanks for solving this infuriating problem I was totally stuck.

Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 January 24 21:10 GMT (UK) »
She and (Joseph) Harold Comery (B 1904) did emigrate to America via Canada in 1923 to Oregon and they married in Multnomah in 1925.

The next stage is I don't know how they met. Agnes worked in a distillery in Edinburgh (Mackinleys) and Harold was brought up in Long Eaton, Derbyshire in a wealthy family.

There are separate immigration records for these two.

Joseph Harold Comery (age 15) arrived in Canada in January 1920. This is confirmed by his presence in the 1921 Canada census. In 1923 he then emigrated from British Columbia by railway to Eastport Idaho in Feb 1923.

Agnes Ritchie Simpson arrived USA July in 1923. (see previously posted link)

I think you can assume they would have met in USA.

Added - Note that on Agnes Ritchie Comery's death certificate, her mother is named as Margaret Ritchie. This would indicate that she knew her mother. Her daughter was the informant on her death.
Her father is recorded as unknown, so Agnes was unaware of the significance of the  Simpson family.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 07:15 GMT (UK) »
I have found Agnes in the index for the 1921 census in Leith South, at 5 Stanwell St.

She is in the same house as George SIMPSON (39), Helen SIMPSON (36), Alexander R SIMPSON (9) and Jeanie S SIMPSON (6)
She is recorded as Agnes RITCHIE age 19
As for the 1911 census, you would need to access this document from Scotlands People to see the exact detail.

That adds some weight to the possibility of George Simpson being her father, although she thought / had been told that he was her brother.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 16:01 GMT (UK) »
That is great, Neale1961. Helps with overall timings that you have found Agnes still in Scotland at the time of the 1921 Census  :)

Also, finding husband to be Joseph Harold Commery already in Canada by 1920 and his move to the US in 1923 would point to the meeting of Agnes and JH being in the US.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk