Author Topic: Locating and identifying a late 19thC portrait -- Thomas Chadwick JP of Urmston?  (Read 349 times)

Offline tcw25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm trying to identify the man in the attached image, which is a photo of a photocopy of a painting that my late grandmother's first cousin, who was immersed in family history, told her descendants depicted "a great-grandfather" in our shared family line.  I'm sure she said more than that but they didn't retain anything more and nothing is written on the photocopy, including the location of the original portrait.  To be clear, my gran's cousin did not have the original herself.  She only had the photocopy.

Assuming she was right about our relationship to the sitter, and given that he appears to have had means, our best guess is that he is Thomas Chadwick J.P. (died April 1895, aged 72) of Urmston, Lancashire, who is commemorated in a marble mural tablet in St. Clement's Church, Urmston, where his wife is commemorated in a stained glass window.  But none of my online searches (whether for his name, or via reverse-image search) can confirm this identification.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Locating and identifying a late 19thC portrait -- Thomas Chadwick JP of Urmston?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 January 24 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I did an image search and it took me to an identical picture on a wikipedia page for ''Jacob Tostrup'' 1806-1890, a Norwegian jeweller.
https://lokalhistoriewiki.no/wiki/Jacob_Tostrup_(1806%E2%80%931890)
There is a lot on him if you search his name up, although it seems the only time the picture you uploaded is used is on a Norwegian wikipedia site, not the English one.
 :)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Locating and identifying a late 19thC portrait -- Thomas Chadwick JP of Urmston?
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 24 00:58 GMT (UK) »
The link isn't working I don't think, but here is the photo on the Norwegian site and what it says on the Norwegian site:
Hope this works  :)

Edit: A version of the same painting is linked to his grave on find a grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/132184315/jacob-ulrich_holfeldt-tostrup

Offline tcw25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 24 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much!  My gran's cousin is in Norway, so that makes sense, although it's not who I thought.  Weird that my image search didn't turn this up. Anyway, mystery solved!