Author Topic: Death of William C. Johnston, New York City, after Nov 1950  (Read 326 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of William C. Johnston, New York City, after Nov 1950
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 January 24 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RJ137 for the additional info about William's sisters. It is so appreciated. But they didn't quite have it correct. I had already found his sister Elizabeth's death, wife of Richard Panting, Apr 29, 1957 in Penticton, BC, Canada and the death of sister MARTHA Tavendale, Feb 19, 1968 also in Penticton, BC, Canada. Although I have the death certificates for both, I don't have any obits.
Martha's daughter Leila Margerie Tavendale died Apr 6, 1954 died in Penticton, age 28.  Martha's husband was Alexander Tavendale who died May 19, 1950 in Penticton.
Another of William's sisters Jane aka Jeanie Campbell died Jun 14, 1937 in Sharon, Mercer Co., Pennsylvania. Her husband was Robert Blackwood Campbell and they had married in 1909 in Paisley, Scotland.
The father of all these Johnstones was Thomas Johnston who died Mar 1, 1924 in Paisley. I don't know when his wife Jane Cockburn died but I think it was after 1921. Thomas was born in Ireland but I have never been able to find out exactly where. They must have been a relatively wealthy family since son Edward Cockburn Johnstone became a naval architect and William Cockburn Johnstone became a New York artist. Sometime after Thomas' birth in 1844 in Ireland, the family moved to Paisley,Scotland since Thomas' sister Elizabeth was born abt 1853 in Paisley. Elizabeth married William Irvine in 1881.  Sister Elizabeth Irvine died Oct 14, 1929 in Paisley.
Anyway, I am so grateful for all the help with William C. Johnstone. Thanks, Sandra, gaffy and RJ137.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland