Author Topic: Martha Poffley - born about 1821 Lambourn or Eastbury  (Read 478 times)

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Poffley - born about 1821 Lambourn or Eastbury
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 January 24 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your valuable help.
Even with your extra sets of eyes,  Martha's bapt. is still a mystery.
In 1851 & 61 she lists Lambourn and  in the remaining  censuses  Eastbury as her place of birth.

It had occurred to me that perhaps she was the d/o a single mother and her baptism recorded under her
mother's name and/or before her parents married - just a thought .

Sarah Poffley I have found in the 1841 census for Lambourn (the d/o William & Elizabeth) and she married a John Dore in 1851 Hungerford Dist.

However, I have not been able to find even Sarah's baptism either,  so I'm wondering if they were baptised at all.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Poffley - born about 1821 Lambourn or Eastbury
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 January 24 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Eastbury was part of the parish of Lambourn, so the information from the censuses is consistent.  In addition to the main church of St. Michael's, Lambourn, you should bear the following in mind:

Eastbury: a Wesleyan chapel, founded in 1814
Lambourn: a Wesleyan chapel, founded pre-1800
(source: NIPR, Vol. 8, Part 1: Berkshire, S.O.G., 1989)

Apart from St. Michael's, these were the only two which were founded before 1821 (your estimated year of birth).  Any registers for them should have been handed over in 1837.

So, if it were my family, I would check these two Wesleyan chapels, after first double-checking St. Michael's.