Author Topic: Diary: week ending 14th January  (Read 4179 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary: week ending 14th January
« on: Monday 08 January 24 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Good morning  all
After starting off yesterday morning having  to clear the frost  from my windscreen,   this morning is cold, bright but no frost.

I am off for time out with a friend who I  meet up with from time to time, a  natter, laugh and lunch out.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, take care, keep warm.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary: week ending 14th January
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 24 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hope you have enjoyed your meet up LM.  :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 24 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, nice to meet up with old friends.

I have written four  long letters to people who include one in their cards to me.
One a teacher with whom I worked, one to The Deputy Head at the same school and was at the same Grammar School as me, and one to one of a family with whom we were good friends in Belgium .
The same news really but nice to keep in touch.
Another to a cousin, we did some F.H together, her writing is very poor now on her card so I wondered if she had problems with her vision.

Well must get on - a cheese and onion pie to make for tea.
Cheerio .
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 24 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Enjoy your day out LM always nice to catch up for lunch and natter does us good I think..
How lovely to receive letters, I do enjoy writing them and love receiving them too… sadly these days most communication is via email, message or WhatsApp… I hear the younger generation would be flustered to receive an actual voice call unless it’s parents… sad isn’t it!
I still speak to friends via good old fashioned phone or FaceTime which is even nicer when they live too far away..

Pilates class finished now house cleaning.. it always invigorates me to get on with chores..

Have a good week all and let’s hope we see some blue sky.. cloudy and dull here today but dry! Temp only 3.6C outside brrr..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 January 24 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes thank you, it snowed as we went out  so we decided not to venture quite so far, we were  mainly in a Mall but it  was very cold, didn't stay out as long as usual as it started to snow on the way home, safely home now to get warm.

I wrote personal  letters in some Christmas cards this year, 2 of then actually rang me and that was nice to catch up, one of the couples especially have invited themselves here,  that will be really nice.

Take care and keep warm.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Morning all. Still cold here but currently dry which is nice. Daughter in Kent yesterday had a smattering of snow.
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 10:03 GMT (UK) »
A very bright ,sunny morning but sooooo cold.
Got washing in so will get wrapped up to hang it outside.

Tried to phone my friend who lost her son so suddenly just before Christmas,
she was really not acting as would be expected.
Not a drama Queen ever but so composed, and now I can imagine it has really hit her hard.
Not answering the phone nor emails ,I left a message on her younger son’s phone but nothing from him either.

Phoned my little friend to remind her to put a note out for the Postman who will be re delivering a parcel that had not enough postage on it ,it needs £1-50 more .She does not hear the knocker but does have a very loud bell so I made a notice for her to put on the door asking that the bell be rung.
She had decided the note would offend the postman and the parcel would not be left!
So I explained it might cost her more if the Postman had to come back again.
It took me nearly an hour at weekend sorting it out on the phone for her.
The bell in her bedroom does not work but so she was up , and hopefully it is sorted today.
She has so many worries but sadly many are of her own making , but she has really big problems and is an anxious nervous person , it is really sad.

I will put on my Arctic combinations,thermal socks,hat and thermal gloves, and a padded jacket to hang out the washing !
Brrrrrrrr!
To quote Oates, in the Antarctic —— “ I am going outside,and may be a little time” ,what a brave unselfish man.
( I used to say that quote when going on yard  duty with the youngest infants ,the school yard can be very daunting for them ,so I was big and brave and I went out every playtime .I remind God of that now and again, I mean- I could have been warm and having a coffee in the Staff Room !)

Saint Viktoria.

Hope all are warm and safe.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Very grey and sleety here. Biting strong North East winds.

When I lived in Leicester, Viktoria, I blithely hung out my washing one bright sunny January morning, and found it (literally,) frozen stiff when I went to fetch it in later during the day!!

Doesn't one learn a lot during the early housewife days. :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 15:26 GMT (UK) »
A report was issued today on the feral wallaby colony on the Isle of Man.
There are an estimated 570 of them now!

Manx Wildlife Trust says the Island's wallaby population needs to be properly assessed - not only for the impact they're having on the ecosystem but for the benefit of the animals themselves.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)