Author Topic: Diary: week ending 14th January  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary: week ending 14th January
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 January 24 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I did not put a date as I would have had to look it up in the many books I had about the mine and its closure.
It would be earlier in the century and the houses had no gas or electricity,- they did not come until the late 1950’s , no water or toilets.
Built hastily in the 1800’s it is amazing they still stand .
The old squatters’ rights pertained ie ie if smoke was coming out of the chimney by dusk they could live there so the massive chimney stack was built first then the family camped under I suppose tarpaulins or something then the rest of the cottage was built ,two downstairs rooms and two upstairs.
Everyone helped each other.
They still stand ,built of the local stone excavated from the hill side and waste from the mine shaft and adits.
This would be early 1800’s but still standing today ,modernised and
extended ..
I think most underground work had stopped when I went Christmas 1940.
Surface work continued as the spoil heaps were valuable themselves.
So a fifty year old man then would have worked from 14 years old ,so  from 1904.The primitive equipment was added to by a special drill, which increased the dangerous dust in fact it was nicknamed “ the widow maker”.
No efficient masks or air filtration in those days .
Hence early retirement through silicosis so earning years reduced.
£65 in the time the men were becoming redundant was more than a year’s wages so hard to find.
But the cottages still stand , testament to the skills of the men and the material ,local stone but lead bearing!
The houses were tested in the 1980’s for strontium and had to have an impermeable membrane installed to cover the floor which was beaten earth and then linoleum , tiled floors were placed over the primitive floor after the membrane.

The £65 price would be in the 1900’ s ,they were owned by the inhabitants when I went 1940.
Many now bear no resemblance to their first appearance, pebble dashed or smooth white finishes, hardly any grey slightly sparkly stone now.
Barytes was still extracted for a time ,the huge spoil heaps that could be seen for miles now grassed over as the toxic dust blew about in dry weather.

Worth a visit if in the area.
I wish I could get there ,but a much reduced bus service from Shrewsbury
limits a visit and places I want to see well off the bus route.
My Great grandparents ‘ grave and my grandmother’s sister who cared for us for a time and her kind brother, then the graves of the people with whom I lived for the longest time , so kind to me ,their daughter like a big sister but another mum,making three —- mine in Manchester,”Auntie “and her daughter Ruth., and “Uncle “who was t he Methodist lay preacher.
I have gone down memory lane again ,
I like it there .
Viktoria.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 January 24 12:40 GMT (UK) »
We're experiencing a very peaceful weekend here, as our TV aerial is not working.  I hadn't realised how much time we spent watching TV, but we are enjoying the radio and books and catching up on lots of little jobs which we have been avoiding. 

We visited our daughter and family this morning and found the grandchildren busy doing their homework.  Our 10-year-old granddaughter has changed a lot over the last few months.  She has emerged from the girly "pink" period and now chooses clothes in subtle colours such as sage green and creamy browns.  It's fascinating to watch them develop, isn't it?

No frost on the car this morning, but it still feels very cold and there is no sunshine to cheer things up either.  Time to make lots of soups, I think.  My daughter has invested in an air fryer and so has my daughter-in-law.  They both swear by them.  I'm considering buying one, but it would be yet another piece of kitchen equipment to find a space for n my overcrowded kitchen.  Are air fryers just another fad and will there be yet something else new soon?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 January 24 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Some sunshine today; so warming up a tad!
Don't have an air-fryer -I make do with my slow-cooker. Beef stew this week!

I have a mouse in my flat :o
I thought I had seen something scuttling across the floor; but it was always out of the corner of my eye.
Got a better look this week. Have to buy a humane trap; and then think where to release the critter.

Snow forecast for Tuesday - hopefully only on the hills.

Out for dinner tonight, at a vegan restaurant. (No! I'm not vegan or vegetarian)
Their food is very tasty, and innovative.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 13 January 24 13:00 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=KGarrad link=topic=879317.msg7517116#msg7517116

I have a mouse in my flat :o
I thought I had seen something scuttling across the floor; but it was always out of the corner of my eye.
Got a better look this week. Have to buy a humane trap; and then think where to release the critter.

[/quote]

I bought a humane trap recently as my cat brought in a live mouse and then let it go in the kitchen  ;D. The trap worked, the little mouse went in 20 minutes after I set the trap. Hop you catch yours soon.

A very dull day here in Dublin, cold too but dry so far. I hope we don't get snow.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 January 24 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Lovely bright sunny day in my neck of the woods today, it lifts the spirits no end and fills the house with light… still very cold outside though…

our aconites are starting to show their pretty yellow shade around the sycamore in the front garden and hellebores flowing too, some of the bulbs have green shoots too, I do so love the spring.

I bought an air fryer a while ago and I don’t know how I lived without it! Instead of turning a large oven on for small quantities of things the air fryer does the job!
So far I’ve cooked cakes, meringues, my own muesli, baked potatoes, steak, chops, sausages, chips just to name a few items, all done quickly saving electricity so what’s not to like… granted I’ve had to make some room in a cupboard for when it’s not being used but worth every penny so far… tomorrow I’m going to bake some scones in it…

Keep warm all and hope the forecast snow up north isn’t too bad 🤞🤞.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 January 24 14:41 GMT (UK) »
The Post Office managers were ALL told, CATEGORICALLY, that THEY were THE ONLY ONE to be having problems. >:(

During my working life I did sometimes see adverts for post office vacancies and it seemed at the time that the applicants had to pay a small fortune if they did succeed in obtaining a post office.

As I've stated in previous threads,  I was also a small company owner,  who invested in a computer when they became available on the open market.    In the time frame we're talking about both the copier and computer suppliers had a hold on all their clients, which was difficult to break free from unless the supplier became bankrupt.

Having said that, it didn't stop me speaking to other users to see if we were having the same problems.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 January 24 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Spring is coming - our snowdrops are out.  :) They are hardy little things,  as the garden has been very wet and soggy for weeks.
North East of England

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 January 24 19:43 GMT (UK) »
The first primroses are looking perky now
They are such good value and bloom cheerily for months.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 January 24 14:08 GMT (UK) »
On Thursday we said our sad farewells to our beloved Jane, wife, mother and grandma, with a short committal at the Crem and a service of Thanksgiving at the Methodist Church where Jane was based as manager of the Church and Community Outreach Partnership. Both venues packed to the rafters and with emotion!

Our grateful thanks to all who have sent messages of sympathy and comfort at this time in whatever shape or form, they have been greatly appreciated and will help in the days to come as I settle to a life without her physical presence, although she will always be with me in spirit.

Andrew has now begun his journey back to Oz, via some friends  and his brother Mark in London, before flying on Wednesday. I will miss him, but he is planning to return in July with the family which gives me something to look forward to as I have not seen them since before the big fires in 2020.

Mark will be making regular visits from London, with the blessing of his employer and a slight change in his working arrangements.  Both he and Andrew have been a tremendous help and comfort over the past few weeks.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!