Author Topic: Diary: week ending 14th January  (Read 4178 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary: week ending 14th January
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Strange you should mention washing  frozen on the line, although a nice sunny day it is very very cold, hung 3 bits out this morning  and at the time I wondered if they would come in stiff, they didn't but it is still very cold,  a  better day than yesterday, most youngsters wouldn' t know what you meant MH  as I think most use a drier, I seldom use a drier.

Was meant to have an extraction today, got myself all geared up but it has been cancelled due to Covid, same procedure on 1st Feb, and not a good dental patient I am ashamed to say.

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 18:18 GMT (UK) »
A report was issued today on the feral wallaby colony on the Isle of Man.
There are an estimated 570 of them now!

Manx Wildlife Trust says the Island's wallaby population needs to be properly assessed - not only for the impact they're having on the ecosystem but for the benefit of the animals themselves.

Isle of Man isn’t the first place I’d think of when talking about wallabies! You learn something new every day .
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 19:33 GMT (UK) »
There was ,maybe still is  a colony in Derbyshire ,near the now disused road Mam Tor.

Nappies frozen on the line are so soft and fluffy ,and towels.
Frost is a good disinfectant too for things like nappies. You can bleach them by laying them on the lawn when first washed then do them properly.
Doesn’t matter if no sun ,they are nice and white.

The person who was quite “ involved “ in The GPO mess had been a Church Minister, nor exactly sure what rank, but you would expect better than the way she did behave.

I have in the past got washing off the line in freezing weather that was absolutely stiff.

Viktoria.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year, and a warm one with my greeting being summertime, the nappies would be dry and crisp in no time here Viktoria with line drying about one and a half hours at the moment.

Also feral wallabies causing environmental issues in NZ, we're much closer to their origin down under of course but as with most introduced foreign species that thrive rather too well they have become quite problematic.

Lovely to read of your various festive celebrations and trips, very unfortunate for you Jeff and hope you are rapidly recovering, also not so good for those who had the unwanted and untimely virus gift making it all particularly miserable and change of plans etc. NZ have also had another 'wave' during December early January with so many reported cases again and some of our family included in those numbers with a great niece at Christmas and daughter and son-in-law at New year. They've each had it previously but still a few days out of action and just not nice. Our immediate family celebration on Boxing Day was hosted by said daughter and it was a great time together, she would have been really unhappy had they been unwell or tested positive earlier, they had also  been to quite a few  enjoyable functions before and after so quite a bit of mixing and no doubt others doing so while not so well!

Older daughter and grandchildren stayed over 5 days with us, all good too and we met up again New Years Day at Highland Games where son-in-law now officiates instead of competing.
Plenty of shade and sunscreen required, particularly for our little ones and doing our best to be sensible through this summer, nice to now be able to pick times to walk the beach so close to home and often quite a pleasant off shore breeze.

Hard to believe, as we always say! that we're already 10 days into this year and we're now 2 months in our new home as well but it's been a good move. A sad farewell to a first cousin to start the year, otherwise we're  'happy as Larry' ( no relation )

Alll the best ...

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 08:40 GMT (UK) »

......we met up again New Years Day at Highland Games where son-in-law now officiates instead of competing.

That is SO marvellous!  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 January 24 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Another gloomy day, forecast the same all week.  :-\ According to the Met Office app the sunrise will be five minutes earlier by next Wednesday, sunset ten minutes later! So that's something to look forward to, even if we can't see it rising and setting.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 January 24 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Jeff’s wife’s funeral today at 2-30.
I looked up the hymns and readings and will think of them .

What a blow so soon after his son.

A grey day here ,damp with no clouds at all.
I hope everyone is alright.

A message from my friend whose son died very suddenly just before Christmas.She is trying to carry on as I knew she would ,but it must be incredibly hard .

Son off to Head Office and I have been a bit ruthless with the decorations ,so can get them away in the big cupboard .
I ought to throw more away ,just do not have the room now to put many up.

Well must get a move on.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 January 24 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Thinking of Jeff today

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 January 24 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I'm still trenching through the pile of chocs and biscuits Santa left me, but the bottles of dandelion & burdock are now empty.   At some point in the year I'll finish drinking the bottles of Advocaat, Cherry Brandy, etc.

I'm surprised at how long it's taking me to finish the jigsaw puzzle that is covering much of my dining table.   I have a set method of sorting out the pieces prior to joining them together.  I have a pile of edges separated into obvious colours, then other piles of stand out colours or objects.   I have my TV set on in the background and am very impressed with the quality of the South African prosecution evidence in their court case being held in the International Court.
 When the case for defence starts, it  really must produce the same quality of evidence.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke