Author Topic: Annie Park - b. between 1870 and 1873 in Doncaster  (Read 366 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Annie Park - b. between 1870 and 1873 in Doncaster
« on: Monday 08 January 24 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to establish the background and parentage of Annie PARK for a long time.

She first appears in my tree when she marries John William BENTLEY on 8 September 1891 at St Mary's Castlegate, York, details as follows:

Annie PARK, Age 21 (b. 1870), spinster, address 4 Tower Street, father Thomas PARK - Vety? Surgeon

Witnesses: Herbert FOWLER and Jane BENTLEY.

I have found her on all of the census returns after her marriage but none before, her place of birth is always given as Doncaster.  The returns I have are all in York, age varies a bit:

1901 - 31 (b. 1870)
1911 - 38 (b. 1873)
1921 - 49 years 11 months (b. 1871)

She died on 11 December 1934 age 62 (b. 1872) in York.

So looking for a birth in Doncaster around the right time I found Annie PARK b. 9 June 1872 but she is the daughter of Abraham PARK and Mary nee DOBB and sadly passed away in 1881, she is buried in Armthorpe.  I couldn't find any other Annies that might fit the bill nor a suitable candidate for father Thomas PARK.

I decided to check out the address Annie gave on her marriage on 1891 census, she is not at 4 Tower Street but at 5 Tower Street there is an Emily PARK age 26 b. Doncaster servant of Mungo BRYSON - surgeon (same occupation Annie gave for her father Thomas). On other records around the same time, Mungo's address appears as 4 Tower Street.

I believe Emily PARK was born Emma PARK on 13 July 1865 in Armthorpe, illegitimate daughter of Elizabeth PARK.  Elizabeth was the sister of Abraham PARK father of Annie who died in 1881 and also Sarah PARK who married William BULLOCK see below.  Census entries for Emma/Emily as follows:

1871 - age 5 - niece - living in Doncaster with William BULLOCK and wife Sarah nee PARK
1881 - age 15 - servant to Henry WADDINGTON in Hemsworth
1891 - see above.

I can't find Emma/Emily PARK after the 1891 census.

The last sighting I have of Elizabeth PARK b.1840 Armthorpe (other than Emma'a birth and baptism records) is on 1861 census servant to John FISHER in Doncaster.

Any help in solving the mystery of my Annie PARK would be very much appreciated.

Pinetree

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Park - b. between 1870 and 1873 in Doncaster
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 24 16:00 GMT (UK) »
There's a Thomas Parke surgeon from Askrigg with single daughters Elizabeth 25 and Ann 19 in 1871 who could have been her mother but not the right area for your Annie  :-\

Have you tried the Parke spelling for a birth?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 24 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Annie PARK, Age 21 (b. 1870), spinster, address 4 Tower Street, father Thomas PARK - Vety? Surgeon

This surely means Thomas Park is a veterinary surgeon...so maybe look for grooms, animal doctor etc
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 24 16:16 GMT (UK) »

Vety Surgeon - Veterinary Surgeon.

The veterinary surgery that I have used in the past started off as a Farrier in the mid 1800's.  https://www.willetthouse.co.uk/history/
Thomas could have had any similar occupation  :-\

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 January 24 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your interest and helpful comments. I realise I didn’t explain the ? after Vety in my original post.  The writing on the scanned record is not as clear as it could be so I am not 100% sure that’s what it says but agree if it is Vety it would be veterinary.  Sorry for being unclear.

Thank you again.

Pinetree

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Are there any Thomas Park marriages around the time Annie was born in case her mother married him when she was very young and he was a step father?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Milliepede, thanks for your further reply. I haven’t found anything very promising at all on Thomas PARK of Doncaster.  I have always wondered if he was real or invented to cover up an illegitimate birth, especially once I found that Emma/Emily PARK was illegitimate.  Is she possibly Annie’s sister?  The address for Emily in 1891 being so close to that given by Annie on her marriage and the fact they are both born in Doncaster makes me think there must be a connection.

I would love to find Annie on a census before 1901 and Emma/Emily after 1891 which might help provide some answers.

Thank you again for your interest.

Pinetree