Author Topic: Mary Ann Berry ( M.S Riach )  (Read 260 times)

Offline MsLadbrook2022

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Berry ( M.S Riach )
« on: Monday 08 January 24 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

I have hit a brick wall in my family tree. I am currently looking for a Mary Ann Riach born 1889 king Edward, Aberdeenshire. She married Thomas Berry 1911 in St Machar, Aberdeen. But after that she has disappeared!! I have looked into all siblings, Aunts and Uncles of hers but she is nowhere to be found. Her dad passed away 1889 and her mother Alexina died in 1916. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Berry ( M.S Riach )
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 January 24 21:18 GMT (UK) »
How do you know that she was born in King Edward?

There's a birth of a Mary Ann Riach in New Byth in 1889, mother's maiden name Mathers.

Did you find her or her husband in the 1921 census?

What became of her husband? And who were his parents?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 January 24 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi MsLadbrook2022

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Mary Ann's parents were John Riach and Alexina Mathers?

Just for background here, which I am sure you have already . Parents married in 1887 in New Byth, King Edward. Daughters Alexina Jane and Mary Ann look to have been born in 1887 and 1889 in New Byth. Mother's maiden name is given on the birth index on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Father John died young in 1889 in Fordyce at the age of 25, mother's maiden name showing as Geddes. By the time of the 1901 census the family were still living in New Byth with Alexina Snr's mother:

ELizabeth S Mathers 73 crofter b. Lonmay, abdnshire
Alexina S M Riach 31 Daur outdoor worker b. King Edward, abdnshire
Alexina J Riach 13 G Daur b. King Edward, abdnshire
Mary A Riach 11 G Daur b. King Edward, abdnshire

Address Hill Clachforbie, New Byth, King Edward

Is this your family tree? www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/166969624/person/202196602914/facts

From this tree, it shows Thomas Berry as having children with an Elizabeth Smith (1918 and 1925) and some years later, marrying her in 1931?

Were there any children from Thomas's marriage to Mary Ann? Can't easily see any so far.

Was the marriage in 1911 before or after the census that year?

Is Thomas Berry showing with Elizabeth Smith at the time of the 1921 census?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MsLadbrook2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes Monica, that is Mary Ann. After 1911 census she has disappeared. Thomas Berry married again in 1931 to Elizabeth Smith. I cannot for the life of me find Mary. Either she emigrated ( a lot of M A Berry's and Riach's on passenger list) or she died or she changed her name completely???

Thank you for helping :-)

Offline MsLadbrook2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

So Thomas and Elizabeth were together until he died in Peterhead. Elizabeth moved to Glasgow.

I have tried looking for children of Thom and Mary but nothing so far. She is but of a mystery :-/

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I can't find the mysterious Mary Ann Riach either, but a couple of other discoveries which may help (or not!).

On Thomas Berry's death registration, there is no mention of him being married to Mary Ann Riach (although he definitely was - 16 Sep 1911, so after the 1911 census), only to Isabella Robb Strachan (who he married in 1898 in Aberdeen, and divorced in 1908 - there is an RCE against the marriage to this effect) and Elizabeth Smith (married in 1931 in St Fergus). His death was registered by a friend, rather than family - although his wife, Elizabeth Smith was seemingly still alive.

On his 1911 marriage to Mary Ann Riach, he says he's a widower, but that may not have been true - Isabella Robb Strachan remarried in Edinburgh in 1908 to James Galt. Can't immediately see a death for her though.

There's no record of a divorce between Thomas Berry and Mary Ann Riach, so I wonder if the reason he married Elizabeth Smith in 1931 - apparently after the birth of their two children - was that he was still technically married to Mary Ann Riach? He and Elizabeth Smith appear to be living as if married in the 1921 census in St Fergus (along with their eldest daughter Margaret Elizabeth Patricia Berry, who was born in 1918).

Although, as I say, I can't see an obvious additional marriage or death for Mary Ann Riach to confirm or deny that theory...

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline MsLadbrook2022

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I really appreciate your help. Yep! That's what I have found out too. I think either she left Thomas and that's why he had to wait a few year to marry again. Or she died but no trace of death. She could possibly changed her name? By the way that is my tree :-).
Thank you