Author Topic: Banardos and Germany  (Read 691 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Banardos and Germany
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 08:05 GMT (UK) »

'Martha Gill is trying hard to be a
real German like her kind employer,

Was the note that she was in Germany at some point from the Ups and Downs magazine?
I would think "employer" would refer to the head of the household that took her in, in Canada.  Possibly they took a trip to Germany and she went along with them?
Do you have their name(s) to check out passenger lists etc?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 11:36 GMT (UK) »

Posting in case you haven't come across this obituary for the son from second marriage.
(with a photograph)

Ward Archer "Joe" Lee
Saturday, July 16th, 1932 - Friday, January 11th, 2019

https://www.armstrongfh.ca/memorials/ward-lee/3695056/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 11:44 GMT (UK) »

Family Search Pedigree tree .....

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/MJB1-M6N

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline upton25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all these links to information, which I am going through and sharing with Martha's 2 x
 Great Grandson in Canada We have found Martha on the Parisian ship's records and my cousin has numerous links to the family But I'm not certain if he has looked at the 1931 Census yet So this will be a wonderful resource. He obtained the Barnardos records along with photos of Martha as a child. Her father Alfred Gill is proving elusive but we have notes that he was in prison for stealing and travelled to Canada a few times, regularly named in the Poor Law Union Gazette
I really appreciate all the help on this

Offline upton25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 15:31 GMT (UK) »
The Ups and Downs Magazine mentioned Martha whilst in Canada I believe the Barnardos record showed she'd been to Germany. The Ups/Downs article appears to be written in 1902 after her departure to Canada in 1901.
Leavesden school records for her mother and siblings Alfred and Elsie read
that Martha had  been with Banardos for 5 years and this ties in with her Barnardos records and gives time for her to travel elsewhere before she appears in the 1901 census in a boarding out home in Berkshire.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 19:12 GMT (UK) »

Pleased we have unearthed some tiny pieces of information to help your story.

Sandra

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 January 24 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Well I didn't expect to find this - but - it LOOKS to be your Martha Gill - read down where it says 1901 census - it says she is in Hampstead Norris Berkshire - goes to Canada in July and lands at Quebec 2nd August 1901 as a Barnardos.
her name is Martha Jane Sanderson Gill born 16th October 1887 .... the tree gives her parents and BOTH sets of Grandparents - good luck

https://gw.geneanet.org/yoshi25?n=gill&oc=&p=martha+jane+sanderson
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 January 24 09:25 GMT (UK) »
1892 Barnardos entry record
Religion: Mother & Father Protestant as on Banardos records [21 Sep 1892]

Phy_description: Brown Hair, hazel eyes, Complexion fair Small chest measurement 20" No height given but enlarged abdomen Vaccination marks Condition of body, small Remarks of Medical Officer a small child [21 September 1892] Banardos

added
   Emigration
Entry reads 101 children for Banardos for Peterborough 23 appears to be from waifs and strays assoc for niagera
Martha is listed under Chertsey Union and appears to be Banardos
Listed as domestic child They travelled with 3 matrons
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline upton25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 January 24 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking in to these for me. The tree on Geneanet is my Piper family. The other details are from my Ancestry tree I'm so glad they are accessible to people. Spooky I read this and thought I've read this before . But i really appreciate the time and effort taken to help me :)