Author Topic: Donald McGillivary  (Read 530 times)

Offline MrsLofty87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald McGillivary
« on: Tuesday 09 January 24 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am hoping someone is able to help me.
I am looking to find information on my great grandfather Donald McGillivary born around 1918.
Info found on his marriage cert to my great grandmother in 1939 states that he was 21 years of age then and his fathers name was William. He was a RAF Aircraftsman in Glamorgan.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McGillivary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Do you know anything else about him, eg where he was born. Who did he marry? What info are looking for?
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 21:13 GMT (UK) »
If he was local there's this chap - except he appears to have married in 1942 and 1959

Donald M McGillivray
Q4  1919
Mother's Maiden Name    Mordecai
Cardiff Vol 11a page 1033

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 21:30 GMT (UK) »
If he was local there's this chap - except he appears to have married in 1942 and 1959

Donald M McGillivray
Q4  1919
Mother's Maiden Name    Mordecai
Cardiff Vol 11a page 1033

Think he’s the one in Barry in 1921 but his father was Paul.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline MrsLofty87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying.

I have looked at the donald mcgillivary with the moredcai before and dont believe this.

I would love to find a birth and death cert for him.

He married my great grandmother margaret paxton 1939 in darlington aged 21yr so gave a rough year of 1919 and was listed on birth cert of my grandfather. Occupation raf aircraftsman glamorganshire.

No other trace of him.

My great grandmother had another baby 1942 and he is not listed as father. She then went onto marry someone else.

I just feel hes disappeared.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 22:08 GMT (UK) »
There’s a death at sea on 5 May 1943 of a Donald Mordecai McGillivary, merchant navy, son of John and Marie of Barry (Glamorganshire), husband of MN McGillivary. Aged 23. His brother John was killed the day before.

Donald Mordecai McGillivary birth registered in Cardiff, Oct-Dec 1919, mother Mordecai.

Are you certain about his marriage?

Offline MrsLofty87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 January 24 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes certain because i have bought the marriage cert and my grandfathers birth cert.

The marriage cert states he was raf aircraftsman for glamorgan.

It says donalds father's name was william mcgillivary.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 January 24 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Strange coincidence then (though admittedly a number of differences), not exactly a common name. Good luck.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 January 24 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Just had another quick look and spotted his name was entered in the indexes as McGillivray (not McGillivary) on his marriage, and the birth of both your grandfather and his (half) sister, and on Margaret's later marriage to Daniel Keith. I also saw on ancestry a copy of the marriage to Daniel which states she was divorced from Donald.

I've not been able to find an entry on the 1921 census for either (though there could be other variations) with a father named Michael. Nor have i found any military records. So it's a bit of a mystery.

What exactly does his occupation say when they married and when was it - before or after the 1939 register? Glamorganshire is quite a way from Darlington where Margaret was living on the 1939 register with her parents.