Author Topic: The Church Army Labour Homes  (Read 160 times)

Offline missjessicajean

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Church Army Labour Homes
« on: Tuesday 09 January 24 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, new to this site so apologies if posting in the incorrect forum. I have been researching my family tree for just over a year now and have hit a brickwall with my half Great-Grandaunt named Alice Jane Jewell. Alice was base born in Kingsclere on the 7th November 1894. Her mother was Jane Elizabeth Jewell from Wokingham. I believe Jane was sent to live with her Aunt in Kingsclere during her pregnancy but quickly moved back once Alice was born. She was baptised at ST James' in Barkham. In 1900 Jane married a man called George Marshall and in 1901 they lived together in a place called Amen Corner, Wokingham with a boarder called George Pearce. On the 19th September 1900 Alice was sent to Easthampstead National School. The only information recorded on the school record is her date of birth, with the year incorrect. Recorded as 7th November 1895, where she lived (amen corner) and her withdrawal date 1st December 1900 - meaning she only stayed for less than 4 months. By 1911, Jane and George have moved to Earley, Wokingham and have had 5 kids together. Alice is no longer living with them. Alice is living in a 'Church Army Labour Home' in Nutford Place, Edgware Street, Marylebone. Her last name is spelled 'Jewel' on the census as opposed to 'Jewell'. It says she is a 16 year old inmate, single, does housework and is born in Reading. It is at this point I hit a dead end. I do not know where she ended up after being in the church army home. I have contacted them regarding their historical records but they say they don't have an archivist at this point in time. Does anyone have any information about these church army homes? Does anyone have any ideas of how I can find her? I have looked into the possibility of her getting married but unfortunately haven't found any ones that are certainly her. Many thanks in advance!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Church Army Labour Homes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 10:42 GMT (UK) »
https://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/CA/index.shtml
It sounds like there may not be admission records surviving.

Looking to see if she went back to Marshall, there is an Alice J Marshall marriage in 1920 to Walter B Ford. On the 1921 census is listed as born 1894 Highclere, Hampshire, England (I can't see a Marshall birth
Died 1935 aged 40.

She is buried with her husband and a daughter, incorrect birthdate on stone though.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/246068504/alice-jane-foord

If this is her, on the marriage certificate she probably gave George's details as her father - a polite fiction and not uncommon.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Church Army Labour Homes
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 15:10 GMT (UK) »
There is an Alice Jane Marshall baptised 1 Mar 1891 Highclere with father Albert Adam Marshall just in case it was her marriage in 1920.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos