Author Topic: Elizabeth Jackson - Market Bosworth  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Jackson - Market Bosworth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:35 GMT (UK) »
It’s possible the Sarah Jackson who witnessed the marriage of both Elizabeth Jackson and William Jackson was their mother.
If so, I can’t find her in the 1841 census, but there is a death registration in Dec quarter 1840 in Market Bosworth for a Sarah Jackson age 76. It might be worth having a punt to see what information her death cert contains and who was the informant.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:51 GMT (UK) »
It’s possible the Sarah Jackson who witnessed the marriage of both Elizabeth Jackson and William Jackson was their mother.
If so, I can’t find her in the 1841 census, but there is a death registration in Dec quarter 1840 in Market Bosworth for a Sarah Jackson age 76. It might be worth having a punt to see what information her death cert contains and who was the informant.

I'll order the death cert and report back with the results! 😊

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 January 24 00:33 GMT (UK) »
I'll order the death cert and report back with the results! 😊

I would go for the very much cheaper immediate digital download option.  :)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 January 24 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Another brother possibly -
John Jackson born abt 1804 Market Bosworth (also a farmer) married Ann Williams in 1848 Chippenham Wiltshire. This marriage has his father as John Jackson a Yeoman.

I have had a better look at this John and I am more convinced he is related to this same family.

There are 2 adjoining farms in Market Bosworth - “The Common” and “The Pastures / Cow Pastures”.
The Pastures is farmed by William Jackson for many decades. His brother Thomas is with him for a while up to abt 1841, but then moves off to farm elsewhere.

John Jackson is farming next door at The Common in 1851 and 1861. By 1871 he has moved to a larger farm at Newtown Linford  ….. He died Market Bosworth 1895. I think the same John is at The Common also in 1841 census with head of house, Elizabeth Jackson age 65, a Farmer. There are a couple of other names listed who I think must be farm workers. The census record is very pale and v difficult to read. Who is this Elizabeth Jackson - could she be the mother? I don't see her in the 1851 census.

I can only find 1 death  – not an exact fit with the census age, but ages on the 1841 census were rounded down & tend to be approximate. I'm inclined to think it is the right one though.  ;)

Death rego
JACKSON, ELIZABETH                  Age 75 
GRO Reference: 1848  J Quarter in MARKET BOSWORTH  Volume 15  Page 122

(I think the £2.50 digital certificate is the best option)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 January 24 10:32 GMT (UK) »
                  I previously posted this marriage .......
Marriage 17 Nov 1801 in Nailstone between John Jackson and Eliz Smith
John was from Barton, Nailstone and Elizabeth was from Market Bosworth.

I now think that this may well be the correct marriage. Apart from the date and places working well with what we now know, there is the Smith connection.

In both the 1841 and 1851 census at “The Common” farm of John Jackson (and who I expect is his mother Elizabeth) there is a Robert Smith unmarried just a little younger than Elizabeth Jackson who I think may be his sister.

This is the 1851 census for him  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGFS-8YX

Robert Smith dies in 1860 in market Bosworth age 77.

The Smith name also appears when William Jackson marries Jane Oldacres in 1831. A witness is Edward Smith.

I think the next step is some death certificates to verify these speculations.

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 January 24 17:57 GMT (UK) »
(I think the £2.50 digital certificate is the best option)

Am I missing out on something? I order from https://www.gro.gov.uk/, it takes about a week and costs like £7

Edit: Nevermind, I see they have a new option on gro.gov :)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 January 24 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I've just tried my first online image order .. for Sarah Jackson .. and received a record for Thomas Deacon Rudkin. Sorry all about that, I've contacted them to let them know that there has been a mistake.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you ordered a birth registration by mistake, rather than a death? I can see Thomas Deakin Rudkin was born in 1840 Market Bosworth.

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Have you ordered a birth registration by mistake, rather than a death? I can see Thomas Deakin Rudkin was born in 1840 Market Bosworth.

Nah, you have to physically select the record after searching. Digital Image type is listed as E/W Death. I'll put together what we have so far because I think there's enough to go on, to make further investigations (if possible). I've also ordered the probate for Thomas Jackson.