Author Topic: Identification of a Uniform please  (Read 896 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identification of a Uniform please
« on: Tuesday 09 January 24 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone identify this uniform?
I don’t have the original and do not have photographer details, nor the shape of the edges, the reverse etc.

I thought the ribbon with the spiked wheel thing would be easy to find but am having no luck.
One of the candidates, born 1870, was in the Royal Horse artillery for a whole 37 days in 1890. And I thought the spiked wheel could be symbolic spurs. But can see nothing, and the jacket is too long?
The same man was then a sapper in the Royal Engineers. 1890-1897 then the reserves for a further 3 years.

the edging of the jacket is dark, but is it also shiny?  I have been thinking black trim on red? ?
Also - the arm chevrons. One is white and one dark?

Added - family who has the photo say it is of a man who was born in 1823 and who retired as a Petty officer in the Royal Navy between 1861 & 1871.  I don't feel this is a naval uniform

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of a Uniform please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 23:04 GMT (UK) »
The "spiked wheel" is an Inkerman Whistle
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 23:13 GMT (UK) »
The "spiked wheel" is an Inkerman Whistle

Thanks Shaun. Off to investigate that now. (It doesn't look much like a whistle to me :()
I attach zoomed in image

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Sleeve detail

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Might it be possible to figure out the decade in which the photo was taken by looking at his hair style and facial hair (or lack thereof)?  It might help narrow down which man this could be?  Apologies in advance for the possibly silly question; there’s a reason I don’t often try to help with photographs.  ;D
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I do not think that’s a silly idea at all Lisa.
That is also why I would have liked to se the reverse and edges of the photo.

Offline NickDub

• RootsChat Extra
  • nickduberley dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 18:33 GMT (UK) »
I found this:-
'Good Conduct Chevrons (“Badges”) are also worn point up, but on the left forearm.'

My guess on the date is c1895
Duberley
Worgan Gloucestershire

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I showed the photo to my son, who, years ago, was very interested in military history and military uniforms.  He is only knowledgeable in North American military but he thinks it resembles a naval uniform.

While looking at online photos, I did come across a photo of a Canadian uniform that was slightly similar (just the material and cut, not the chevrons nor “spiked wheel”), but I discounted it as it was Canadian.  Is there a chance that the photo could have been given to the family and not actually their relative?

Still thinking outside the box, is it possible that the man was in a military school, not actually serving in active military?  (Sorry, I cannot see the gent’s face clearly enough to determine his approximate age.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:24 GMT (UK) »
here is some info about the Inkerman whistle.

https://everything2.com/title/Inkerman+whistle

Then there is this extract
"The Inkerman Silver Whistle and Chain
10. The Inkerman silver whistle and chain is worn by all Warrant Officers Class II, Colour Sergeants and Sergeants.

11. In 1854 the 68th Light Infantry embarked for the Crimea. At the Battle of Inkerman, the 68th fought without their greatcoats in the bitter cold so that they could more easily get at their ammunition. They drove the Russian Yakutsk Regiment from the field with the bayonet. There were heavy officer casualties and in consequence non-commissioned officers of the Battalion played a very responsible part in command and control during the battle. Warrant Officers and Sergeants of the 1st Battalion The Durham Light Infantry continued to wear the whistle and chain as worn at Inkerman. This distinction was later extended to all Warrant Officers and Sergeants of The Durham Light Infantry and subsequently of The Light Infantry. The silver whistle and chain is not on ordnance issue. They may be bought from RHQ.

The Wearing of the Sash
12. Warrant Officers Class 11, Colour Sergeants and Sergeants wear the sash tied on the right side. ..."

https://www.lightinfantry.org.uk/regiments/li/li_dress.htm

Like Lisa in California (hi Lisa!) I am wondering if this is a trainee or cadet.  Other ideas is that he is wearing a 'dress'  uniform as you'd wear to a formal mess function. 

Then looking at how the whistle is to be worn it does look a bit odd the way it is in this picture. 
'The whistle is short and tubular, and stays within a slot on the right hand side of the belt buckle. It is connected by a chain to a Lion's head boss located on the centre of the NCO's red sash. Inkerman whistles and their chains are made of silver.'

This one looks as if the whistle is tucked into the pocket on left hand side.  There is a medallion/fob on the button band.  My ex husband was a quartermaster/bo'sun in RNZN and he had a whistle but held on a white lanyard. 

The fob part definitely looks more like ship's spoked wheel than a lion's head boss. The whole photo is giving me naval vibes.