Author Topic: Identification of a Uniform please  (Read 897 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of a Uniform please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks both,
Yes I read that about the inkerman whistle. I don’t think it looks like one myself, but could be wrong.
My cousin has had an opinion elsewhere that it is a pre 1881 sapper uniform. The “undress frock”.
But if that’s the case then none of the people who it could be are him!
Cousin is sending it off to the Army Museum.

But Lisa…I had noticed the similarity to some Canadian uniforms - and as this photograph is held by a Canadian branch of the family I have wondered exactly the same thing!  That it is someone on their Canadian family, not their English side.

I am going to have to see if they can be bothered to photograph the reverse.
(The man looks in his 20s to me, but that may be influenced by my expectations.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Naval vibes, dress/undress not sure but having seen mess dress for naval officers this looks more like this than Army. 

Canadian could be right on the money!

Centre parts for men seemed to be popular in 1900s-1920s from a quick 'shufti', as my Dad would have said. 

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:48 GMT (UK) »
a quick 'shufti', as my Dad would have said.

And as my father-in-law would too!

I will await my cousins efforts.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi shanreagh.   ;D

I’m off in a different direction - I’m looking at RCMP uniforms to see if that would be a possibility.  I may be looking at the uniform too closely, but I wonder if it was designed for cold weather?   ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:49 GMT (UK) »
a quick 'shufti', as my Dad would have said.

And as my father-in-law would too!

I will await my cousins efforts.

Your cousin MUST help.  We are all waiting.   ;D ;D
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Side tracked to “Shufti”

It first appeared in English in the 1940s. Shufti is in origin the Arabic word šufti, meaning “have you seen?”, and comes from the verb šāf “to see”

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 January 24 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Not having any luck, so far.

A couple of things are bothering me but perhaps it’s solely due to my lack of subject knowledge.

Has the photo been cropped and if not, might not a military person have his “cover” with him, in the photo as well?

Is it common to see military uniforms without any easily-identifiable patches?  (Perhaps I just can’t see any in the photo.)

The photo seems I bit odd to me, like it has been cropped.  If so, might there be any clues that we cannot see?

Added: mckha489, thank you for the explanation - it’s always fun learning new things.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 January 24 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes it has been cropped (by me) because the original I have been sent is a photo of it being held in someone’s hand! but there is no cover/hat.

All of those are good questions imo.  I will just have to hope my cousin gets a quick reply from the Army (she has already had a reply back from Portsmouth / not Royal Navy)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 January 24 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the update; we can eliminate one branch.

Later tonight I will continue looking around.