Author Topic: Please Help Wilsons/Raeburns!!  (Read 988 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help Wilsons/Raeburns!!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 January 24 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. That Peter Charles Wilson, born 17 January 1865, would have been one day short of his 36th birthday on the date of marriage of Peter Charles Wilson and Marian Ward.

In which case, AshWilson1986, what evidence do you have that makes you think he was the one born to Mary Wilson on 27 May 1863?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 January 24 22:31 GMT (UK) »
A little more sleuthing.

I couldn't find a Peter Wilson, born Fintray, in the 1871 census.

However in the 1871 census at Galloway Brae, Fintray, is a household consisting of William Murray, 56; his wife Helen Murray, 50, born Methlick; and Peter Murray, nephew, 7, born Fintray.

William and Helen are still there in 1881, aged 67 and 60 respectively.

Helen Murray, other surname Wilson, mother's surname Herd, died in Fintray in 1884, aged 63.

William Murray and Helen Wilson were married in Methlick in 1848.

In the 1841 census in Methlick is a family which includes William Wilson, 50; Margaret Wilson, 40; Helen Wilson, 20; Katherine Wilson, 8; Mary Wilson, 6; and Peter Wilson, 4.

So I am wondering if Peter Murray is the illegitimate child of Mary Wilson, living with his mother's sister Helen and her husband?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AshWilson1986

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 January 24 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Searching my family tree and have traced a Peter Wilson born in Fintray in 1863 to a Mary Wilson.
27 May 1863, mother Mary Wilson, father not named.

Peter moved to Jamaica
When?

and that's where he had a son(William Adolphus)
When, and who was Peter's wife and the mother of William Adolphus?

and then in 1924 my Grandad was born
Where, and who was his mother?

who eventually moved to London
When?

lots of conflicting information. I've had a look at ancestry.com and a possible mother of Mary could be Catherine Raeburn b.1816
Do not trust anything you find online, especially on ancestry.com, unless it's an image of an original document.

Mary was born around 1845 but maybe earlier and I can't find a birth record for her
Where did you find that date?

Would be great to know if there any living descendants of any Wilsons and Raeburns. Mary possibly had a brother named John Raeburn.
Is that John Raeburn Wilson? Or is it John Raeburn, brother of Catherine Raeburn, not of Mary Wilson?

You need to view that 1863 birth certificate to find out the exact address where Peter was born, and who registered the birth.

I've ordered the birth certificate

Offline AshWilson1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 January 24 23:10 GMT (UK) »
A little more sleuthing.

I couldn't find a Peter Wilson, born Fintray, in the 1871 census.

However in the 1871 census at Galloway Brae, Fintray, is a household consisting of William Murray, 56; his wife Helen Murray, 50, born Methlick; and Peter Murray, nephew, 7, born Fintray.

William and Helen are still there in 1881, aged 67 and 60 respectively.

Helen Murray, other surname Wilson, mother's surname Herd, died in Fintray in 1884, aged 63.

William Murray and Helen Wilson were married in Methlick in 1848.

In the 1841 census in Methlick is a family which includes William Wilson, 50; Margaret Wilson, 40; Helen Wilson, 20; Katherine Wilson, 8; Mary Wilson, 6; and Peter Wilson, 4.

So I am wondering if Peter Murray is the illegitimate child of Mary Wilson, living with his mother's sister Helen and her husband?

That's very interesting. Thanks for this will try and delve a bit deeper.

Offline AshWilson1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 January 24 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the responses

I think I've got a bit carried away when it comes to the family search/ancestry sites.

I'll await the birth certificate and then see what that says and then go from there  :)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 January 24 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just to say that if the birth certificate was on scotlandspeople then you do not need to order it. It can be viewed and downloaded for a few credits. It is not costly!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline AshWilson1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 January 24 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just to say that if the birth certificate was on scotlandspeople then you do not need to order it. It can be viewed and downloaded for a few credits. It is not costly!
flst

Ah I've just gone and ordered it. It'll be a nice thing to have but next time I'll just buy a few credits when doing research as you said

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 January 24 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Have a read of this, I'm sure you'll find it useful. Also, the help and advice section of scotlandspeople is worthwhile reading before you spend any more credits!
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=562668.0
hope this helps,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline AshWilson1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 January 24 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Curiosity killed the cat and bought some credits anyway as will need them in future.

I had a look at Peters birth certificate. It says illegitimate child so Forfarian could absolutely bang on the money..

Here I have attached a digital image. I can make out most of the writing but not the actual exact place Peter was born