Author Topic: John Bamford & Helen Currie  (Read 172 times)

Offline Bamford1996

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bamford & Helen Currie
« on: Wednesday 10 January 24 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Very new here but thought someone may be able to help.

I’m trying to trace where an ancestor came from.

His name was John Bamford (born around 1815) and his wife was Helen Currie. They had 2 sons John and David before moving to Kilsyth, Scotland in around 1840 and had another son named Thomas.

In every record that states where they were born it only says Ireland but no county or anything. I’ve researched and asked and I’m pointed towards Antrim or Derry. I have looked at different Irish ancestry pages to find them but I have had no luck so I was wondering if perhaps someone on here could help me out? Or if I’m lucky enough, someone will have them in their own tree and looking to priece the other end that I have  :P

Any help would be appreciated massively

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: John Bamford & Helen Currie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 24 11:07 BST (UK) »
It's early for Irish records, albeit some do exist, though often not online.

It can be helpful if you know religion.

Have a play around with the surname tool at

https://www.johngrenham.com/surnames/

especially adding in the second surname.

This will give you an idea of the spread of the Bamford (and variants) surname around mid 1800s, and an indication of where both surnames appeared in same area. Although a bit later than the timescale for your couple, it should give you some areas to consider a bit more closely.

Also, have a look at the instances of a John Bamford in the Tithe Applotment records. Again, whilst it may not include your John, it can give an indication of possible areas with the surname present in 1820s and/or 1830s.

What respective parents' names have been recorded on the death registrations of John and his wife (assuming they died in Scotland after mid 1850s that is)?

For the son, Thomas, in Scotland:

Name           Thomas Bamford
Sex.             Male
Father's Name   John Bamford
Father's Sex   Male
Mother's Name   Helen Currie
Mother's Sex   Female
Event Type   Christening
Event Date   26 Sep 1841
Event Place   Kilsyth, Stirlingshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

so, from checking on Scotlandspeople, it is a Church of Scotland record.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Bamford & Helen Currie
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 April 24 12:33 BST (UK) »
Have you done any DNA testing? both my husband and I have Bamford matches (we know what his connection is but mine is still a mystery) around the area of Ballymoney, Co. Antrim very near the River Bann which is the border between Londonderry/Antrim counties.
In Ireland Helen's name is much more likely to have been Ellen (just a different form of the same Christian name).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!