Author Topic: Labels in WORD  (Read 470 times)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Labels in WORD
« on: Wednesday 10 January 24 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I handle a number of address labels with WORD.  Is there some way of moving the following labels up (to close the gap) when I delete an address?

Thanks in advance.

Malcolm Bull
Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Labels in WORD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I am not clear on what you are actually doing?

I make labels using Mail Merge where all the contacts and addresses are in a separate “database” file.

Just deleting one line in said file and all the others move up when the sheet of labels is printed

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 24 10:55 GMT (UK) »
It's very easy to move labels in WORD :-

Select the label you wish to move
Press CTRL and X
Move the cursor to the target blank label
Press CTRL and V
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)

Offline Malcolm Bull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 24 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the responses.  I'm using a fairly simple WORD Table to print in a standard Avery label format - never dabbled with MAIL MERGE.  It's actually to print my Christmas card labels, and as older members of the extended family leave this mortal coil, I want to remove their address and to save space by moving the following labels up, rather than having to print the next set with what gaps here and there which are difficult to use later.

Latchfordian, your "cut and paste sequence" obviously works when I select an existing label and move to it an empty cell in the table.   

I didn't want to have to move every following address up in order to keep the addresses in sequence.  Cut and paste doesn't with several adjacent addresses; Cut does indeed remove them, but Paste only recovers the first of the group.  Looks like I shall have to remove a single address from the end of the set and paste it into the gap, although that would lost the sequence.  I've got a year to sort it out!

Thanks again

Malcolm Bull

Surname interests:

Huntingdon: Bull / Shelford
Rotherham: Andrews / Steel
Easingwold: Snowball / Potter

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 24 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Using a Table is what I thought you must be doing.

Setting up and using Mail Merge is really easy.

Google a tutorial for the version of Word that you are using and follow it.

You can use Excel with certain versions of Word where you list the names and addresses in the Excel Cells and then assign the Cells into the label template in Word.

We also print the address labels for our Christmas Cards, but also have a Publisher document set up to print Christmas Present Labels for family and friends.

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 January 24 23:59 GMT (UK) »
What version of Word are you using.

Offline ptdrifter

• RootsChat Senior
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 January 24 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Depending on how the table had been created it could just be a line break in the empty cell that needs removing
Press Ctrl+Shift+8 to show section breaks. Place the cursor left of the break, and press Delete. Press Ctrl+Shift+8 again to hide.
Stevens, Pye  East London

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 January 24 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Why not transform your table to an Excel spread sheet. Then when you delete a cell you can choose  the option for the cells below to move up.

Offline Latchfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 January 24 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I don't believe EXCEL has an equivalent of the WORD Mailings option. With this you can specify exactly which labels you are using (eg. Avery A4, Product L7651).
Andrew, Banks, Birchall, Burgess, Burk, Carnell, Cartwright, Clare, Costello, Cragg, Daniels, Gregory, Hague, Hamblett, Hardman, Jackson, Marland, Mee, Mollyneux, Mullin, Naylor, Orford, Owen, Richardson, Robinson, Smith, Street, Tyldsley, Ward, Whalley, Wright
(Mainly Lancs and Cheshire)