Author Topic: Can we Help this Lady Hamilton  (Read 582 times)

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: Can we Help this Lady Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 24 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello and New Years greetings to you.

Short answer YES WE CAN.

When I saw the Waikato Times article yesterday I wondered if I should take the trouble to post. But did not on two counts.  A Herbert family on the R D 3, service in 1958 was not one I had data on. Had it been further out, and lower Waikato I could probably have helped. And secondly a PRESS article I saw fit to post on the Welsh forum before Christmas, has not had an acknowledgement since from the PRESS contact.

However this evening I saw fit to phone a businessman, now living in the South Island, and he was immediately able to help.

The Herbert home farm in those years was on the East side of SH1 [Cambridge Road] TAMAHERE. The frontage being from to days Rest Home to the cross roads. [Tamahere roundabout].

The next generation of "Herbert Brothers" for years were agricultural contractor's in the area.  Possibly about 1966 I helped organize a ploughing match on one of the farms they had a contract on.

Why I decided tonight to place that call.  Fist time I have hit the jack pot in ages.

Will supply the Waikato Times with contact details to a Herbert family member.

Alan.

PS.  That family member has just cc'ed me in, with several paragraphs of notes relating to that farm in the late 1950's, and of farm cottages that were rented out.  They have made the notes available for forwarding to the lady seeking assistance.

The Herberts made the land available for the establishment of the retirement home, but with the break up of the farm, through subdivision since then, most farm buildings have been lost.

PPS. Typo - changed to Christchurch  PRESS

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 24 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Aerial photo view.

The link hopefully will take the enquirer to TAMAHERE images held by RETROLENZ.

The 7th from last, of the 20/08/1953 [Run 2169 – No 26]  photos, in the right hand selection panel, clearly shows the Herbert farm.

Click on the photo for it to enlarge.

Bottom right is a short wave of the Waikato river.  Bottom left is where the Cambridge road exits Hamilton City, through a big gully.

The Herbert farm occupies that portion of the photo starting at the centre, with the Cambridge road clearly heading to the Tamahere X roads, top right corner.  Part way along the road, a cluster of buildings and trees can be seen.  The well defined long paddock, starting at the centre and heading up, was the northern end of the property, where the Rest Home was established.

Retrolens - Historical Imagery Resource

www.retrolens.co.nz/map/#/Tamahere,%20Hamilton,%20Waikato 

Alan.

PS  Run K photo 10, 30/8/61 shows a more close up photo of the southern part of the farm, and one lot of farm buildings. Right side of photo; includes the X road junction.

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 24 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Fresh Fields.
Glad you could help.
Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 24 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I am now glad you saw fit to post Carol, as the info gained, adds to my heritage collections.

Alan.

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 24 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I thought it may interest you and help at the same time.
I was not in the Waikato till 1957 as a 2-month-old.
Carol

and many more.

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 January 24 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I noticed there is an article in Wakatio Times that the problem has been solved.
Are you able to send me a copy as I don't have a sub.
It was just pure luck that I saw the original.
Glad you could help Alan.
Well done.
Carol

and many more.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 January 24 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Good morning.

SNAP.

Have just blind CC'ed you in, with a copy of all my scannings to the south island. Before dialing up here. Yet to read PM. oops unrelated message.

Per chance yesterday, when doing another look up, for a new enquiry spotted your email from pre COVID look ups.

For all, eleven people contacted the Waikato Times before today's publication. So they had a great response

As no direct communication to me, I should try and see on line if the PRESS took their pre Christmas request any further, re the RAWLING request.

Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 24 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Up date, from todays Waikato Times.

https://www.waikatotimes.co.nz/nz-news/350219489/uk-womans-mission-solve-family-history-mysteries-hamilton 

So the UK lady has made it as far as Hamilton.

Alan.