Author Topic: Charles Austin  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Robbo Coggo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Austin
« on: Thursday 11 January 24 12:09 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to find how Charles Austin came to Australia 1861/62, ending up at Ballarat in 1862 and marrying Catherine Jane Dodd, nee Stone

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Austin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 24 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Do we have his age? He may also simply appear as Mr Austin
Maybe try PROV https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 24 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I am attempting to find how Charles Austin came to Australia 1861/62, ending up at Ballarat in 1862 and marrying Catherine Jane Dodd, nee Stone

Was he married to Caroline Jane?

We don’t have any age or occupation from your post.

Have a look at
Mr Austin, age 28, on board “PIRATE” from Dunedin to Melbourne in May 1860
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 24 01:15 GMT (UK) »
From Trove.nla.gov.au
6 April 1908 Death notice for Charles Austen. Wife Caroline Jane Austen and son Frederick George .
Death entry NSW BDM Charles Austen d 6 April 1908 age 76 years Balmain, NSW. So Born c 1832.
On his son's marriage certificate Sept 10th 1901 Charles occupation is Stonemason which makes sense for Ballarat and the rapid increase in building there at the time.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Robbo Coggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 24 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  I was remiss not putting his age.  He was born about 1832 in Deal, Kent.  He was still in Deal on the 1861 census.  He married Caroline Jane Dodd nee Stone in 1862 following the death of the husband the previous year.  That provides a very narrow window for his arrival.  The name is also spelt Austen.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 24 04:14 GMT (UK) »
From Trove.nla.gov.au
6 April 1908 Death notice for Charles Austen. Wife Caroline Jane Austen and son Frederick George .
Death entry NSW BDM Charles Austen d 6 April 1908 age 76 years Balmain, NSW. So Born c 1832.
On his son's marriage certificate Sept 10th 1901 Charles occupation is Stonemason which makes sense for Ballarat and the rapid increase in building there at the time.

The man Frederick George AUSTEN marrying in NSW 1901 states born in Footscray Vic (in 1877)
per the Marriage certificate.

The corresponding birth record has a mother who is not Caroline. No father. A relatives child perhaps raised by Caroline and Charles??

Frederick George AUSTEN
Ftscray, Victoria
Place Victoria, Australia
Mother Louisa Mary Austen
Registration Number   2660/1877

I am not completely certain of the occupation for Charles on the MC of Frederick as stonemason.
It might be storeman when you look at it.

I'll add a snip

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 24 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Storeman or Stonemason?
I can see both!
Sue

Offline Robbo Coggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 24 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue.  Frederick Charles Austen was actually the illegitimate child of Louisa May Dodd, daughter of Caroline Jane Dodd.  She was 16 and became pregnant while on the goldfields.  Consensual or not I do not know.  no charges were ever placed so I lean towards consensual.  Caroline and her step father Charles Austen, immediately removed her to Melbourne to hide the stigma.  He was brought up thinking Louisa was his older the sister.  The secret only cm out towards the end of Caroline's life, when she moved back to Melbourne after Charles' death.  The amount of hurt this caused Charles can be seen in his death certificate which states mother and father unknown.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 24 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue.  Frederick Charles Austen was actually the illegitimate child of Louisa May Dodd, daughter of Caroline Jane Dodd.  She was 16 and became pregnant while on the goldfields.  Consensual or not I do not know.  no charges were ever placed so I lean towards consensual.  Caroline and her step father Charles Austen, immediately removed her to Melbourne to hide the stigma.  He was brought up thinking Louisa was his older the sister.  The secret only cm out towards the end of Caroline's life, when she moved back to Melbourne after Charles' death.  The amount of hurt this caused Charles can be seen in his death certificate which states mother and father unknown.

Hi Robbo,
Interesting information.
I am guessing you mean to say that Frederick George Austen was the illigitmate son of Louisa.

So Caroline, Charles' wife went to Melbourne after to 1908 death of her husband Charles.  Is that correct?

Who exactly was upset upon finding out about the concealed facts of Frederick George birth ?
Charles was dead so it could not be him.

Do you mean Frederick George AUSTEN ;D?

It would be helpful if you could look at these questions.

When was your last sighting of Charles AUSTIN in England?
What was his occupation ?

Sue