Author Topic: Charles Austin  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Robbo Coggo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Austin
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 January 24 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

The last time that Charles Austen was in England was 1861.  He shows up in the census as living in Deal with his parents and brothers and sisters.  He was 29 and unemployed (no occupation).

Caroline Jane Dodd, nee Stone's husband died in Ballarat in 1861, the result of falling from some scaffolding. Caroline re-married Charles Austen in 1862.

In 1876, aged 16, Louisa Dodd, daughter of Catherine Jane and Robert James Dodd, fell pregnant to an unknown man.  To escape scandal, the Austen family moved to Melbourne for Louisa to have the child, known as Frederick George  Austen.  While Louisa knew Frederick was her son, Catherine and charles Austen always were known to him as mother and father and that Louisa was an older sister.

Sometime after Charles' death in 1908, the truth became known and it seems Frederick cut off all ties with the family.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 January 24 02:11 GMT (UK) »

Sometime after Charles' death in 1908, the truth became known and it seems Frederick cut off all ties with the family.

Frederick was a wife deserter. 1925  Rose lodged the  complaint. Being upset about your parentage is not a reason to leave your wife really.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/252054888

He was at the Astoria Hotel, Blackheath NSW as an employee on 1930. Rose, was not with him.

I am surprised that a 29 year old man without employment in 1861, was able to secure a passage (with or without the support of the Assisted Immigration Scheme of the time) and also be in a position to marry in a new country in1862. Robert had died in the previous September.

On the 1862 marriage certificate which you have, I am assuming, what was Charles marital status and occupation and parents and place of birth?

Sorry to remind you again, but her name was Caroline, not Catherine.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 January 24 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Not helpful re his arrival and you probably have this but FindMyPast has these two images:

Baptism:
29 May 1831, Sandwich, St Peter
Charles, son of Edw'd and Jane Austin, resident in this parish, grocer
(my comment - definitely AustIn in both images - the 'i' is dotted!)

Date of census 1861 in England was 7 April, so he would have had time to be in Ballarat in 1862 but how he got there ??? With my tongue firmly in my cheek  ::) ::) and at the risk of being too flippant, I wonder if his mother (who most likely gave the information for the census) thought he was not pulling his weight in the family business so said he had 'no occupation".  Or perhaps he had come to the family home awaiting passage to Australia, etc etc.   English censuses do not give a person's usual residence, merely lists those in the household on the night of the census.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 January 24 06:04 GMT (UK) »
It is a narrow window for arrival certainly.

I am pretty sure (from a bit of research) that the marriage was in the August of 1862 and possibly at Christ Church Ballarat.

So even if Charles departed England the day after the census, and we must allow a minnimum of 2 and a bit months and a possibility of 3 to 4 months for the voyage to Melbourne plus the trek to Ballarat, he made a wonderfully prompt job of courting and marrying Caroline ;D

Anyhow, none of this finds him on a ship to get here ::)
Sue

Offline Robbo Coggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 January 24 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue

I am not surprised by the short courtship. My family is littered with women re-marrying quickly.  Maybe sometimes for love.  Other times convenience.  A couple of the the men turned into abusers.  You really have to stand in awe of women in the period.

cheers and thanks again for your help.

Offline Robbo Coggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 January 24 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Judith

I think reading between the lines, you are pretty much on the money.  I had considered this too.  It is often what is not said or done which points to the real story.  My eventual write up will include this hypothesis.

cheers Rob

Offline Robbo Coggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 January 24 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

Sorry I missed your earlier message.  Did I call Caroline, Catherine? Woops.  I was aware of Frederick George and his behaviour.   This little sub-strand of the family is full of some really unlikeable characters well into the early 20th century.  I have this theory, and Judith alluded to it in an earlier post, that he was already approved to sail and was just hanging around when the census date occurred.  Now he might have been a no hoper too and the family glad to see the back of him.

Rob

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 January 24 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Interesting family Rob.
The exact time of Charles' arrival has not been discovered to date, but keep in touch with the forum if other queries arise and you'd like more group searching ;D

Sue 

Offline Robbo Coggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 January 24 01:11 GMT (UK) »
cheers, thanks Sue