Author Topic: Looking for William Pidgley  (Read 211 times)

Offline ChrisCavSib

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for William Pidgley
« on: Thursday 11 January 24 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I'm looking for some information on William Pidgley (spelling taken from his daughters marriage cert). I know he was born in Hailsham and died in Hampshire. Was born around 1837 (died approx 1869). He was married to Mary Ann Smith and had one (as far as I know) daughter called Mary Ann.
I can't seem to find anything about his parents anywhere..

Any help appreciated

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for William Pidgley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 24 14:03 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that gives the following details:

Mary Ann Pidgley married William Hebdige on 16th October 1889 Botley, Hampshire.

It lists her father as James Pidgley(not William) who had married Mary Anne Smith on 14th September 1863 at Binsted, Hampshire.

James Pidgley baptised 26th July 1837 Hailsham, Sussex. Parents:James Pidgley and Harriet Maynard.

Offline ChrisCavSib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 January 24 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
On Mary's marriage certificate (and birth record) her father is listed as William.

Maybe James was a middle name?

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 24 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Was born around 1837 (died approx 1869).

Have you got him on census as William? 

If you can only find him as William and no James somewhere else (in the same years) then he must have used both names but rule that out first. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ChrisCavSib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 24 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I only have the census for the year before they married and then the one after he died (they were married in 1863 and he died in 1869)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 24 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
On Mary's marriage certificate (and birth record) her father is listed as William.

Maybe James was a middle name?

It would not be unusual for a child not to know the first name of their father especially if he had died when they were young.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 24 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Death Dec qtr 1869   
PIDGLEY    James   age  29    Droxford    2c   81
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jpid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 24 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I'm looking for some information on William Pidgley (spelling taken from his daughters marriage cert). I know he was born in Hailsham and died in Hampshire. Was born around 1837 (died approx 1869). He was married to Mary Ann Smith and had one (as far as I know) daughter called Mary Ann.

Any help appreciated

Mary Ann married William Hebdidge, and her father James Pidgley had a brother named William, I think this is where things are getting muddy.

To help out I'll start with Mary Ann:

Mary Ann (1864-1928) married to William Hebdidge (1858-1929)

Parents: James Pidgley (1837-1869) and Mary Ann Smith (1840-?)
Aunts and Uncles: Betsy (1831-1890), William (1834), John (1840-1910), Ann (1843-?) & Charlotte (1848-1923)

Paternal grandparents: James Pidgley (1799-1859) and Harriet Alice Maynard (1800-1880)

Paternal great-grandparents: Richard Pidgley (1755-1803) and Eleanor Connor (1765-1837)

William would have been Mary's uncle, I'm certain he died as an infant though as I don't have any records of his death or anything other life events. However, James' middle name was likely William (named after his dad and late brother) and he preferred to go by this as his father's name was also James. I'm directly related to James' brother John and I can tell you most children were named after an immediate family member; so a heap of us (myself included) go by our middle names. If you want more information about that line of the family, please feel free to ask. My gran has almost all our family records going back centuries.

Offline ChrisCavSib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 January 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Any help appreciated

Mary Ann married William Hebdidge, and her father James Pidgley had a brother named William, I think this is where things are getting muddy.

To help out I'll start with Mary Ann:

Mary Ann (1864-1928) married to William Hebdidge (1858-1929)

Parents: James Pidgley (1837-1869) and Mary Ann Smith (1840-?)
Aunts and Uncles: Betsy (1831-1890), William (1834), John (1840-1910), Ann (1843-?) & Charlotte (1848-1923)

Paternal grandparents: James Pidgley (1799-1859) and Harriet Alice Maynard (1800-1880)

Paternal great-grandparents: Richard Pidgley (1755-1803) and Eleanor Connor (1765-1837)

William would have been Mary's uncle, I'm certain he died as an infant though as I don't have any records of his death or anything other life events. However, James' middle name was likely William (named after his dad and late brother) and he preferred to go by this as his father's name was also James. I'm directly related to James' brother John and I can tell you most children were named after an immediate family member; so a heap of us (myself included) go by our middle names. If you want more information about that line of the family, please feel free to ask. My gran has almost all our family records going back centuries.

Thank you (and everyone else so far for all the help).
I've seen a lot of children (both male and female) having the exact same names as their parents which gets a little muddy if you forget which date you're looking for  :D .
James/William is my 3rd great grandfather on my mothers side. Unfortunately none of the family are around any more so going in totally blind really.