Author Topic: Áine Malone Fitzgerald - deathless  (Read 477 times)

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Áine Malone Fitzgerald - deathless
« on: Thursday 11 January 24 19:18 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking for the death registration of Áine Malone, who married Theo (Theobald Wolfe Tone) Fitzgerald. The Military Archives have her dying in August 1950, but nary a sign I can see of a death registration. She and Theo lived in Adrian Avenue in Harold's Cross, and after her death Theo's death registration 12 years later lists him as having lived in Enniskerry.
I've tried a rake of variant spellings without luck.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Áine Malone Fitzgerald - deathless
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Her death notice gives 21 Aug Hospice for the dying Harold’s Cross.
Buried Glasnevin

There is this cert for Anne Fitzgerald 21 Aug Harold’s Cross but the home address is different than the death notice
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1950/04522/4190700.pdf

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Calculating Theo’s age from his Death, I looked for Aine of around the same age, who died 1950.

There is a married 48 year old Annie Fitzgerald, who died in the Hospice, Harolds Cross.  Different address, but still nearby. 

See:-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1950/04522/4190700.pdf

Might this be her and did she go by the name Annie?

Regards

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes this appears to be her.

Regards

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry LH I was modifying mine as you posted

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 January 24 21:35 GMT (UK) »
The address on the death notice is 4 Leeson Park Avenue

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 January 24 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I didn't think this was my girl when I saw it, though I did hesitate because of the nearby address. From a findagrave piece, her grave seems to have her five years younger than her actual age (she was born in 1895).
I don't know why she'd be in Kilfenora Road; all her Military Archives papers have her in 15 Adrian Avenue (these houses were built around the 1930s, I think; her widower's Military Archives papers include the address 4 Leeson Park Avenue at an earlier stage (1925 to 1927) and then have a note of change of address to 2 Vera Terrace, Botanic Avenue, Glasnevin which takes effect in 1927, then in 1929 he changes to a bank's address, c/o Commercial Banking Co, 3 Palace Street, Dublin, then 40 Westland Row, Dublin in 1932, then finally in 1937, to 15 Adrian Avenue, Harold's Cross. The final address, on the  death registration when Theo, Áine's widower, died in 1962, is Naomh Áine, Enniskerry, Co Dublin.
And yes, Áine also went by Annie.

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 January 24 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Incidentally, 18 Kilfenora Road (the address on the suggested death registration) does have form; it was the home of Isobel Burke, who made an unsuccessful claim for a military pension for the Tan War (unsuccessful doesn't mean much; these egalitarians were generally much less willing to give a military pension to a woman than to a man). It is, I suppose, possible that Áine went visiting and died suddenly. Though, no; the Annie in that death registration died in the Hospice in Harold's Cross.

Offline Abhanliath

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 24 10:35 GMT (UK) »
I've also failed to find any marriages (in Ireland) for Áine and Theo's four children, Eithne, Nuala, Theobald and Mícheál. And I've failed to find Áine's parents' marriage - or as is always possible, of course, marriages in the case of her father. They may have married abroad, though…
An older brother, William, joined the British Army in 1902, and was killed, poor babe, in the 1915 Battle of Mouse Trap Farm, a hideous gas-filled nightmare in that crash of capitalist empires that was World War I. He went to the same school as the younger Malones, and when he joined the British Army he gave the same address and his father's name as Bernard (Bryan sometimes went as Bernard.
Áine's mother, Mary Malone, formerly Connor, gives her age as 45, and the number of years she was married as 30 in the 1911 census, which suggests that she was 15 when she married.
In Theo's peripatetic addresses, I forgot to add one request to send his pension to Ballycotton Lighthouse, which he was painting at the time…
Here's Áine and Theo's grave in Glasnevin, with the Leeson Park Ave address; she was obviously a little discreet about her age at a time when marrying a man a couple of years younger than you was not done https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/249364350/aine-fitzgerald