Author Topic: Early 1900s, Melbourne Aust Interpretation  (Read 602 times)

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early 1900s, Melbourne Aust Interpretation
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue,
That's great advice - not being a family into jewelry in a big way.  Both sides of the family were of meagre means as far as I can tell - at least before they came to Australia and at least until the late 1890s. I don't have a lot of photos, but will look at them again. It would be really nice to know if it is a UK or Melbourne photo. 
I'll keep beavering away.  Thanks again.
David
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Ahhhh. Jewellery didn't do it, but the dress did. I have another photo of a similar looking woman but the collar/neck is quite different as is the setting, but pleating and cuffs are identical. If this photo is 1880 or so it matches quite well with a pair of photos of a couple have who were married in Leicester (in 1875) but photographed in Melbourne dated as late 1870's or so on basis of the address of the photographer. She had a wedding ring on. This makes her Mrs Yates and not Miss Yates at the time! Assuming 1880, she would have been 24 years old.
So Sue, thanks so much for prompting my closer inspection of detail.
Dave
Yates (Tamworth, Staffs), Yates (Leicester), Probert (London, Westminster, Bath), Argles, Robinson (London, Westminster), Jessop (Westmeath)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the time to post the photo for us.
Just for interest ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline transparu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Will try to in the next few days - though I'm travelling from Thursday. I don't want the pics to be too large.
David