Author Topic: regiment and rank, please  (Read 1632 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: regiment and rank, please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 March 24 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone put a name to the 1st. car shown, it's a real beast of a thing.  Look at the size of the brake drums and I love the horn.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 March 24 12:16 GMT (UK) »
The very distinctive V shaped radiator is most unusual, I can only find it on Mercedes racers from about 1913, has this been “ repatriated” and converted to road use, note the seemingly homemade
modifications around the bonnet louvres.

Mike

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 March 24 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I agree Mike the front end is very distinctive and may well have been repatriated.  I always thought the WW1 staff cars were the Vauxhall D-Type but when I look at images of these although there are a few similarities the front end of the Vauxhall is much shorter. It almost looks as though the one in question has the back end of the Vauxhall and the front end of an unknown, maybe a Mercedes.
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 March 24 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking “repatriated” as in spoils of war :)

Mike

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 March 24 12:40 GMT (UK) »
If it was repatriated, why was it right hand drive? And following on from Purlin's comment, I don't think it was a staff car, since the driver is in civilian clothing. I think it is more likely that the car was owned by one of the officers. Alternatively, since many of the VAD hospitals during the war were set up in requisitioned country houses, perhaps the car belonged to the owner who put it at the disposal of his 'guests'

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 March 24 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Andy I was interested in the first car the one with what appears to me to be two army officers in. 

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 March 24 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Andy I was interested in the first car the one with what appears to me to be two army officers in. 

Yes that is the one I was referring to.   It has aroused my curiosity so I looked in Mercedes archives and much to my surprise all the early cars shown there are right hand drive even though they are official photos and the registration numbers are German style.

Are we venturing off topic here

Mike

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 March 24 18:04 GMT (UK) »
It’s my thread: you have my full permission to identify the cars. I too was fascinated by the horn.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 March 24 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan, sorry I hadn't thought about intruding.