Author Topic: Researching a beautiful london Actress... and failing  (Read 7250 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching a beautiful london Actress... and failing
« on: Friday 12 January 24 14:28 GMT (UK) »
On twitter, an account that normally posts (lovely) photographs from silent-era Hollywood published a photo of an English Actress - Julia James.

It also stated that "little is known of her" beyond b1890 d1964, and on stage 1905-1920.

"little is known" is a challenge.

A delve into the BNA revealed that in 1921 she Married Maurice Dollfus, a wealthy banker from France. FreeBMD confirmed the marriage.

Another article reported that in 1909 she (and her mother) was robbed of £1,500 in jewelry, (£147,000 in current terms). More importantly, the article gave an address; 52, Bloomsbury St.

Optimistically, I used FindMyPast to do an address search, and got a hit! Since I don't have a current FindMyPast sub, I got the Census from Ances*y.

This listed a mother, a brother and a sister, as well as Julia Herself.

I can find no other UK records for any of the 4. I strongly suspect a name change.

Can anyone do better? To provide motivation, I attach her portrait, from 1912 (she was 20).

BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Researching a beautiful london Actress... and failing
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 24 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Oh I do like a mystery.
It looks like Julia ,Elizabeth  and Maurice are both at boarding school in Margate 1901.
Godwin Cottage 31 Goodwin Road all born Bloomsbury

Ciderdrinker

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 24 15:07 GMT (UK) »
from The Sketch, August 4th 1926

Another villa resident [in Le Touquet] is Mme. Maurice Dollfus, whom we remember as the beautiful Julia James. She plays a great deal of golf, and entertains largely. Her son, Patrick Dollfus, who is nearly two, thrives apace in the stimulating air.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 24 15:16 GMT (UK) »
from The Worthing Herald, Friday November 6th, 1959

Wedding gown for his model
Leading French fashion designer Pierre Balmain has offered to make a wedding gown for his top model, 19-year-old Patricia Donald Smith of Angmering, when she marries next year.

Pat...will marry another "Pat" – Parisian industrialist M. Patrick Dollfus – in London next March.
This weekend Pat's parents...will meet M. and Mme. Maurice Dollfus at their Parisian home.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 24 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Since ciderdrinker's discovery confirms that James is the real surname (since it predates Julia's fame), I looked in the London Electoral register for Annie.

And hit pay dirt.

In 1908 she is at 52 Bloomsbury Street, confirming her identity, but 70 Great Russell Street is also listed under "houses successive"

Turning to the 1901 Electoral Reg, there she is, at least at 71 Great Russell Street.

In 1900 she's listed at 71 Great Russell Street, and (another "successive") 22 Torrington Square.

This should find her in the 1901 census.

Yep - Class: RG13; Piece: 237; Folio: 35; Page: 19

Running another boarding house, and already a widow at 31.
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 24 17:35 GMT (UK) »
The report on her wedding in the Hull Daily Mail, Wednesday 2nd November 1921 states that her address at the time was in "Hertford-street, Mayfair" and that the marriage certificate described her father as John James, deceased, of private means.

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 24 17:44 GMT (UK) »
The report on her wedding in the Hull Daily Mail, Wednesday 2nd November 1921 states that her address at the time was in "Hertford-street, Mayfair" and that the marriage certificate described her father as John James, deceased, of private means.

So with Maurice born in 1893 and Annie a Widow in 1901, we have a narrow window for the death of a wealthy "John James".
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 24 20:07 GMT (UK) »
A little portrait from the Abergavenny Chronicle in 1918

Few young actresses have advanced so rapidly as Miss Julia James, for the simple reason that her natural gifts as an actress found early recognition (says a contemporary). She played the part of principal girl in a Drury Lane pantomime before she was twenty-one. Apart, however, from her stage work, Miss James is clever in other directions, and some of her paintings would secure an honoured place in any exhibition. She has a rare knowledge, too, of old prints and china of which she is an enthusiastic collector, while it is scarcely surprising, in view of the fact that she speaks five languages fluently, that, she is an ardent traveller.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 24 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I can't find obvious births for Elizabeth, Julia and Maurice - at least not with the surname James