Author Topic: French Canadian baptism record c1900-1920.  (Read 723 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
French Canadian baptism record c1900-1920.
« on: Friday 12 January 24 16:08 GMT (UK) »
This is apparently the baptism record for Marie Délia Lucienne Saumur, daughter of Augustin Saumur and Delia Gascon.

The indexed information for this record includes birth date 13 Jul 1914 and baptism date 19 Jul 1907 which obviously can't be correct, and even my decades old schoolboy French tells me that it starts "Le dix-neuf juillet mil neuf cent quatorze" i.e. 19 Jul 1914 - I don't see a 13 Jul or a 1907 anywhere.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what it says?
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: French Canadian baptism record c1900-1920.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 24 17:00 GMT (UK) »
You're right about the date of baptism, and the date of birth is given immediately after the girl's name ('née le treize courant'), so 13 July 1914.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 24 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I hadn't spotted that - obviously. :-[

Looking through it again a few times with frequent reference to Google translate I realized that one of the words is likely 'soussigné', undersigned, and on each subsequent reading another word or so seemed to pop out. So this is what I now read:

"Le dix-neuf juillet mil neuf cent quatorze, nous soussigne, ??? de cette paroisse, assier baptisis, Marie Delia Lucienne, nee le treize courant, fille legitimee d'Augustin Samur et de Delia Gascon, de cette paroisse, Parraine George Nestonne, soussigne, marraine, Delia Gascon, soussignee, epouse du parraine, de cette paroisse. Le pere a declare ne savoie???, Lietc???.
Delia Gascon George Nesline
F. Ph. Beauchamp Chan C???"

My best guess at a translation now:
"19 July 1914, we the undersigned, ??? of this parish, (something about baptism), Marie Delia Lucienne, born on the thirteenth of the current (i.e. this month, July), legitimate daughter of Augustin Saumur and Delia Gascon of this parish. Sponsor/godfather George Neston, undersigned, godmother, Delia Gascon, undersigned, spouse of the sponsor/godfather, of this parish. The father has declared no known (something I can't even guess at).
Delia Gascon George Nesline
F. Ph. Beauchamp (no idea)"

So I think we have two Delia Gascons, Marie's mother (wife of Augustin Saumur) and Marie's godmother (wife of George Something-beginning-with-N). And I assume that Ph(ilippe?) Beauchamp is the parish priest who baptized Marie.

Once again, I'd be delighted if somebody can clear up the bits I haven't yet got.

(Needless to say 'treize' at the start of the third line stands out like a sore thumb now that arthurk has pointed it out ! I can't see how I missed that  :) )
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 24 09:02 GMT (UK) »
End of first line ‘Curé
de cette paroisse………’
ie, curate or priest

'ne savoir signee' - could not write/sign

The names at the bottom and are not visible on the clip you posted - you have chopped them off.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 24 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Here's what I can read :

nous soussigné curé de cette paroisse (  some curate , priest or vicar would say "moy soussigné", this one uses the 'nous de majesté") (" We are not amused " said Queen Victoria) avons baptisé...parrain ( not parraine)... le père a déclaré ne savoir signer , lecture faite ...

I understand that there were 2 Delia Gascon , as you said.
I can't see the signatures , but you can be sure there are at least 2 ( the godmother's and the priest's)

ADDED: 3 signatures ( George the godfather , Delia nb 2  and the priest)
Goldie : you beat me

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 January 24 11:06 GMT (UK) »
You'll have seen the signatures (we haven't), but in this extract the godfather looks like George Norbonne.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 January 24 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody - I've attached a version with the signatures. Not sure about George Norbonne - the main text does look like Norbonne, but not sure if I can see that in his signature.

So now I think we have the full text (missing accents are my fault) "Le dix-neuf juillet mil neuf cent quatorze, nous soussigne, curé de cette paroisse, avons baptisé, Marie Delia Lucienne, nee le treize courant, fille legitimee d'Augustin Samur et de Delia Gascon, de cette paroisse, Parraine George Norbonne(?), soussigne, marraine, Delia Gascon, soussignee, epouse du parraine, de cette paroisse. le père a déclaré ne savoir signer, lecture faite."

And Google Translate seems quite good with this - "On July nineteen, nineteen hundred and fourteen, we, the undersigned, priest of this parish, baptized, Marie Delia Lucienne, born on the thirteenth inst., legitimate daughter of Augustin Samur and Delia Gascon, of this parish, Sponsor George Norbonne(?), undersigned , godmother, Delia Gascon, undersigned, wife of the godfather, of this parish. the father declared that he did not know how to sign, having read it."

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 January 24 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everybody - I've attached a version with the signatures. Not sure about George Norbonne - the main text does look like Norbonne, but not sure if I can see that in his signature.

So now I think we have the full text (missing accents are my fault) "Le dix-neuf juillet mil neuf cent quatorze, nous soussigne, curé de cette paroisse, avons baptisé, Marie Delia Lucienne, nee le treize courant, fille legitimee d'Augustin Samur et de Delia Gascon, de cette paroisse, Parraine George Norbonne(?), soussigne, marraine, Delia Gascon, soussignee, epouse du parraine, de cette paroisse. le père a déclaré ne savoir signer, lecture faite."

And Google Translate seems quite good with this - "On July nineteen, nineteen hundred and fourteen, we, the undersigned, priest of this parish, baptized, Marie Delia Lucienne, born on the thirteenth inst., legitimate daughter of Augustin Samur and Delia Gascon, of this parish, Sponsor George Norbonne(?), undersigned , godmother, Delia Gascon, undersigned, wife of the godfather, of this parish. the father declared that he did not know how to sign, having read it."

Je vais ajouter mon grain de sel :

Fille légitime , not legitimee, parrain ( godfather) not parraine.

I think Augustin was in fact called Saumur.

The priest is Beauchamp .

The godfather's name is really a challenge !

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 January 24 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The name I believe is Georges Nerbonne. He marries Delia Gascon July 1, 1911 (**transcribed as July 1, 1907) in the same church as the baptism of Lucienne Saumar, same priest as well.  Delia's parents were Isaie Gascon and Albina Lachapelle, Georges' parents were Edouard Nerbonne and Ezima Hotte

DB