Author Topic: Historic parliamentary divisions, wards and maps  (Read 801 times)

Offline Bogie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Historic parliamentary divisions, wards and maps
« on: Friday 12 January 24 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Is there any "easy" way of finding out what historic parliamentary division and ward a place fell under?

I've spent several hours this afternoon trying to locate which division and ward a village which lies on the changing Cheshire/Lancashire boundaries was in during the 1920s and 30s, and did not know how to find out if / where I might find historic electoral registers for it.

Findmypast lets you browse by Parliamentary Division etc, but I couldn't find out which one!

After lots of to-ing and fro-ing and Wikipedia-ing, I eventually found my answer, but was wondering if there was somewhere obvious for previous electoral boundaries that I might have missed - like the 1851 parish jurisdictions map or the Gazetteer of Britain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!  :)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Historic parliamentary divisions, wards and maps
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 24 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I think this would be available at A Vision of Britain (http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/) but the site is down at the moment. When it's working again, find the village you want, and there are various tables showing which units it's been part of; maps too, but I'm not sure exactly which ones.

The National Library of Scotland has maps of England at https://maps.nls.uk/. Pick a large scale one (single sheet) for the date you want and constituency boundaries should be shown. Where a boundary reaches the edge of the sheet, the constituencies either side of it are usually named in the margin.

I don't think I've ever seen a map going down to ward level except possibly very large scale ones of urban areas.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bogie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 January 24 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply! Yes, Vision of Britain is a good one. Will remember to try there first next time!  :)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 January 24 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Glad it was helpful - it's not the flashiest of sites, but if you keep digging there's a lot there.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk