Author Topic: Legerwood Berwickshire  (Read 158 times)

Offline EdithKennedy21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Legerwood Berwickshire
« on: Saturday 13 January 24 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone can help me to discover how it may be possible to trace further details for Ancestors who married in Legerwood in 1730

Two dates sourced for marriage and have many Scottish Ancestors associated with this couple  May and June 1730 either directly or other branches of Hay line

Unfortunately I have been unable to source any other official records  for my Ancestral 5th  Great Grandparents John Hay and Isobel Lockie (Isabel) no matter which site I use to research

Do have a baptism record for  Isobel Lockie - 1704 - sourced on IGI - which has been attached to her data in my Ancestry File for many years
Recently sourced a baptism for 1708 in Lilliesleaf  which gave Parents as William Lockie and Isobel Thomson so this has confused me somewhat as already have several Ancestors born in Lilliesleaf and this has been confirmed as correct link to my Roxburghshire Ancestors

Any help to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated

Not actually sure how to proceed when so far back with dates concerned

Many thanks in advance

Edith A

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Legerwood Berwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 24 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Two dates sourced for marriage and have many Scottish Ancestors associated with this couple  May and June 1730 either directly or other branches of Hay line.
These are two records of the same event. The church records are in fact records of the proclamation of banns and not necessarily of the wedding ceremony. If a couple lived in two different parishes the banns were proclaimed in both, and this generated two records.

You need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and view both original documents to see what (if any) other information they contain. This could be the date of the actual wedding, the name of the officiating minister, where the couple lived, and even, just conceivably, the name of the bride's father.

Unfortunately I have been unable to source any other official records  for my Ancestral 5th  Great Grandparents John Hay and Isobel Lockie (Isabel) no matter which site I use to research.
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Basically, as far back as 1730 and earlier, if there is nothing on Scotland's People there probably are no surviving earlier records at all, and certainly none online. There is no other site that has more information than Scotland's People.

Do have a baptism record for  Isobel Lockie - 1704 - sourced on IGI - which has been attached to her data in my Ancestry File for many years
Never trust anything you find in the IGI or elsewhere online unless it's an image of an original document.

In particular, it is never safe to assume that the only candidate is the right candidate, because at this early date there are many people whose baptism records, if they ever existed have not survived.

There are in fact eight baptisms of Is*bel* L*ckie in the Borders and East Lothian, all but one of whom (who was too old) might be the one who married John Hay. See attachment.

Unless you have independent evidence to prove that one or other Isobel Lockie is the one who married John Hay in 1730, you cannot reliably attach her to your tree.

already have several Ancestors born in Lilliesleaf and this has been confirmed as correct link to my Roxburghshire Ancestors
Are these ancestors Hays or Lockies? How exactly has it been confirmed that they are definitely your ancestors?

Not actually sure how to proceed when so far back with dates concerned
You may actually have got back as far as the surviving records will allow.

Have you checked www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to see if any of them left a will? What about gravestones? The names of their children might give a clue to the names of their parents, if they followed the naming tradition:

First daughter after mother's mother
Second daughter after father's mother
Third daughter after mother

First son after father's father
Second son after mother's father
Third son after father

Subsequent children after great-grandparents, uncles/aunts, other relatives, friends, minister/doctor/laird/schoolmaster/prominent citizen or their wives.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline EdithKennedy21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Legerwood Berwickshire - Hay - dates
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 24 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Good day and thank you for all the responses to segments of my emails

Data which has been confirmed is for my  Easton Ancestors and this was with reliable information from Jedburgh Registrar at time I began to research and also a lady attached to Jedburgh Castle Jail and BHS
Easton links into Smith Hay Stevenson Kerr Douglas Oliver Rutherford and other Clans associated with Border communities
Also have an article supplied by Scotland People many years again in respect of my Great Grandfather which mentions specific areas attached to these branches in my family heritage and people who linked into the Easton line

I appreciate you taking time to answer my query so thoroughly

Many thanks

Edith A

Yet again you have helped my with my ancestral queries