Author Topic: RAF service record 1940s  (Read 325 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
RAF service record 1940s
« on: Saturday 13 January 24 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if someone could help.
I would be very interested in finding out about the service record of an old aunt of mine who served with the RAF in the early 1940s.
Her name was Maggie Ferguson. (it says Maggie on her birth cert. but she was commonly known as Peggy)
Born on 12th Nov 1921 at Sauchenford near Plean, Stirling.
I never heard my aunt Peggy or any other member of the family mention her time in the services, so know absolutely nothing about it. But would like to know, as would her two surviving sons.
I have attached a photo of her in uniform.
My thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RAF service record 1940s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 24 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately her uniform tells us relatively little. She's wearing the standard RAF albatross shoulder flash worn by all ranks from aircraftman/woman up to and including flight sergeants.  She is an aircraftwoman (either First or Second Class) but AC1s and AC2s didn't wear any rank badges. The A underneath signifies that she is in the Auxiliary RAF. She is not wearing any trade badges so she could have been employed in one of the many trades which were open to women, such as cook, steward, driver, storeman, clerk, and quite possibly one of the more skilled  trades  such as radar or air plotter, teleprinter operator or cipher clerk.
You probably need to get her service record from the MOD to find out more. More details here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Re: RAF service record 1940s
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 24 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that reply Andy and for the link.
I will try and chase it up.
Robert.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)