Author Topic: Dead end Fanny Henfrey (Florence Stephens)  (Read 838 times)

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dead end Fanny Henfrey (Florence Stephens)
« on: Saturday 13 January 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Posted back in 2008 but got a little further with the release of the 1911 & 1921 census.  Think Im at a dead end but any extra expertise really appreciated.

My Grandad CLARENCE HENRY STEPHENS 7th April 1912 On his Birth Cert father CLARENCE STEPHENS (Commercial Traveller) mother FLORENCE HENFREY b1876 @ 130 Rylance St, Ardwick.

MY Grandad also had a sister GLADYS 1916 and FLORENCE 1914 (Died 1916) all recording the same father on Baptisms as CLARENCE & FLORENCE STEPHENS

On 1911 Census (which i believe was taken 2nd April 1911) FLORENCE STEPHENS is at 14 Leonard Street living on her own as a Widow

1901  Census shes FANNY STEPHENS
Married living alone at 88 Davenport ave, Withington and no occupation

Fanny Stephens is FANNY HENFREY 1876 born in India on 1891
1891 • Glasgow Maryhill, Lanarkshire, Scotland

H J Henfrey   44
Mary Henfrey   31
Fanny E Henfrey   16
Margaret Hanfrey   10
Ethel Hanfrey   6
William Hanfrey   4
Minnie Hanfrey   2

I followed Minnie & Ethel and found them in Levenshulme in 1911 census so I know all that ties up and correct family

My issues are this -

I can not find her (or any of her family) on passenger lists returning to the UK from India (her brother William was born 1887 in Glasgow so guessing it has to be sometime between her birth 1876 and 1887 unless she stayed behind and came later

I Can not find any marriage to a CLARENCE STEPHENS (STEVENS) in UK or India

1901 census no occupation so thought maybe as husbands away as a "commercial traveller" searched Commercial traveller schools as read they were a trade given to orphans - no sign of a CLARENCE STEPHENS

If he doesnt exist how was she supporting herself living on her own in 1901 in Withington (which Im guessing was a nice area as it was when I lived in Manchester)

If 1911 census was taken over a year before CLARENCE H STEPHENS Birth in 1912 where FLORENCE was a Widow then who on earth is CLARENCE STEPHENS the father?? and he is on subsequent baptisms of siblings

Ive checked all school records for Clarence and Gladys and see no sign of CLARENCE STEPHENS as Next of kin only a guy called JOHN EVANS b1896 who strangely Florence is living with 1939 but hes 20yrs her junior ( which was also odd )

My Grandfather put his father as deceased Theatrical Agent on his own marriage cert in 1937
On her Obituary 1958 in the newspapers shes FLORENCE FRANCIS STEPHENS in Ardwick

Also I can not see that FANNY is a abbrev of FLORENCE so has she made the whole name of CLARENCE STEPHENS and her name FLORENCE STEPHENS up?  Is my Grandfather and siblings illegitimate and I will never find his paternal side?

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dead end Fanny Henfrey (Florence Stephens)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 January 24 19:32 GMT (UK) »
There's this newspaper report maybe  :-\:

Manchester Evening News Thursday February 12th 1903

Attempted Directory Fraud in Manchester

Clarence Stephens alias John Watson of Davenport Avenue, Withington was charged with attempting to obtain 25s by false pretences from Mr Garside. The prisoner called on Mr Garside and represented that he was connected with the General Directory of Great Britain and Ireland. No such directory was in existence. The prisoner was well connected and once occupied a good social position. The offence was admitted and the prisoner was sentenced to gaol for one month in the second class,

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 January 24 20:32 GMT (UK) »
oh my goodness, so he does exist, unless clarence stephens is another false name he used, just wish he had been on 1901 census so i could find his death to rule him in ir out as paternal father.  Wonder if he was in prison?

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 January 24 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Fanny's father Henry military records states they returned home from the East Indies in January 1886.

Henry Henfrey born 1845 Barnett, Herts. Attested 10th November 1864
Wife Mary, daughters Fanny, Mary, Ethel
Father:John

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 24 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Im looking at FindMyPast newspapers and see the reference to the crime you mention. Can you see if theres any mention to his age in 1903?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 January 24 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Do you think the couple here are yours? There's a Manchester connection, and might vaguely fit the theatrical link on your grandfather's marriage cert

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3629416/3629418/6/%22clarence%20stephens%22

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 January 24 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Here's a bit on Lady Melodee's feats - she seems well travelled. The snippet at the end about her family background fits Fanny!

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3641835/3641842/55/%22lady%20melodee%22

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 January 24 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Sheffield Evening Telegraph 21st September 1907

At Rhyll County Court yesterday a claim was made by Frank Eich, professionally known as Sacco, a fasting man against Clarence Stephens, known professionally as Succi, a fasting man, and his wife Francis Stevens, who as Madame Melodee has undergone a fast at Rhyll during the past season.  The Plaintiff is claiming for money lent and articles supplied. One of the items claimed is food supplied to Madame Melodee during a fast in the Worlds Fair at Rhyl in the latter part of May. The Plaintiff said he met the Defendant in Manchester last year.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 January 24 22:37 GMT (UK) »
There was a lot of rivalry between "Sacco" and "Succi" with each trying to outdo the other's fasting feats - Sacco also went in for having himself bricked up. There's many reports from the 1890s of an Italian Signor Succi's fasting activities. I'm not sure if Clarence is the same Succi, or just  pretending to be him