Author Topic: William Grimason & Isabella Sprint  (Read 832 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Grimason & Isabella Sprint
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Pardon me , my machine posted twice. Not sure how or why.

I'll make up for it with this find...

Wedding of Sarah Grimason July 31 1857
Father: Thomas Grimason -weaver of Drumnakelly

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1857/09534/5456290.pdf

Map: https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/oneilland-east/seagoe/brownlows-derry/drumnakelly/

Sarah Grimison married Henry Thorton in 1857 and would have been born somewhere around 1825-1837. Her father is weaver Thomas Grimason. William Grimason that married Isabella Sprint in 1857 has father Thomas Archibald Grimason -weaver and was born 1836. It seems possible William and Sarah are siblings and this is the Thomas we are looking for.

Elizabeth Grimason is a widow of a weaver (Thomas Grimason?) and she died 19th Nov 1882 at age 82 and present was Sarah Thorton:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1882/06388/4834106.pdf

Furthermore there was a spinster named Sarah Grimason that died at  Ballywarkin in 1882 at age 96. It's possible that she is a relative to Thomas Grimason such as a sister.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1882/06388/4834107.pdf
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline katmandu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 January 24 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Alan, thank you for your time.   I will take a look at this Thomas.  I hope is he is a brother because I cannot find any birth record for William, nor the Archhibald listed as his father on marriage record.   Archibald is more Scottish than Irish but no luck there either.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 January 24 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Alan, thank you for your time.   I will take a look at this Thomas.  I hope is he is a brother because I cannot find any birth record for William, nor the Archhibald listed as his father on marriage record.   Archibald is more Scottish than Irish but no luck there either.

I checked many sites and don't see any Archibald Grimason... not in Ireland or Scotland. I had thought maybe he followed his son to the USA but don't see any reference. Was there any other clues that lead you to thinking his name was Thomas Archibald Grimason?

The only reference I can find to Thomas Archibald Grimason comes from myhertitage but it is a bunch of info cobbled together from who knows where. The info in it has to be taken with a grain of salt. Some of it is true for sure...

William Grimison, 1836 - 1918
William Grimison was born on February 5 1836, in Ireland, to Thomas Archibald Grimison.
William married Isabella Grimison (born Sprint).
Isabella was born on April 10 1835, in Ireland.
They had 10 children: Thomas Whitley Grimison, Mary Jane Pedlow (born Grimison), Eliza Anne Grimison, William Aldred Grimison, Francis Galbraith Grimison, John P Grimison, Robert Irwin Grimison, Margaret Isabella Grimison, Harry Wise Grimison and William Grimison.
William then married Eleanor F Grimison (born Wise).

Eleanor was born on December 30 1845, in Brady Township, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, United States.
William lived in 1860, in Middletown, Delaware, Pennsylvania, United States.
He lived in 1880, in Middletown, Delaware, Pennsylvania, United States.
He lived in 1900, in ED 90 Huntingdon borough Ward 1, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, United States.
His occupation was Works In Cotton Mill.
William passed away on September 6 1918, at age 82 in Upland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, United States.
He was buried in Aston, Delaware, Pennsylvania, United States of America.

The naming of the children seems quite Scottish...
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline katmandu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 January 24 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Archibald Grimason is listed as Williams father on marriage certificate.  But Thomas is listed as father on Williams death certificate.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 January 24 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Okay, thanks for the refresher. Yeah it really does look like he is Thomas Archibald Grimason. I have a feeling the weaver Thomas that is father of Sarah Thorton is the same Thomas your looking for but more proof is required.

I thought I could find a death for Thomas in Ireland or Scotland as well but no go. I checked the USA and nothing interesting for an Archibald or Thomas Grimason (under various spellings).

I have the feeling that spinster Sarah Grimason is sister of Thomas and that is why he had a daughter named Sarah. Now if I could just prove it  ::)

I think it's worth looking into whether this Thomas Grimason mentioned below is the right one. It has a few things going for it. He's a weaver , right name , daughter is purported to be born in Tandragee. Wife's name is correct ... Elizabeth.

If it is the same Thomas Grimason then Elizabeth would be Elizabeth Holmes (according to the links). This daughter Elizabeth Grimason married a Freeman in Australia and appears in these write ups:

https://www.eurekapedia.org/Elizabeth_Freeman

https://www.ballaratcemeteries.com.au/events-and-history/women-who-shaped-and-built-ballarat/freeman-elizabeth/

It's quite possible that your William Grimason is son of the same couple above and brother to Elizabeth mentioned (and possibly Sarah Thorton).

Of course it's quite possible this is a different weaver named Thomas Grimason...

Worth checking into I think.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 January 24 06:28 GMT (UK) »
I should mention I saw this other marriage that is from a government record source...

Thomas Grimason
UK Marriage List, 1655 - 1992

MarriageApr 1 1843 - C.I., Portadown/Drumc, Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland
    Wife:Sarah Stewart

This would be after the birth of William , Sarah , Elizabeth etc. Either it's another Thomas Grimason or he could possibly have remarried after being married to Elizabeth Holmes. Presumably this Thomas would be born approx 1810-1823.

Reporting what I see. Cheers.

Offline katmandu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 January 24 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I will give this a go.  I have to say this Thomas/Archibald is the bane of my existence 😩  In looking through my ancestry tree, William is the outsider because 99% or the men are named Thomas. 

Equally on my moms dad's side, the men's forname began as Archibald Scott from Isle of Mull, named his son Nixon who moved to New Zealand and subsequent men have been named Edward William starting in 1904 to present day.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 January 24 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I find it a bit surprising that none of William Grimason's sons have Archibald in their names... There is a William Alfred born in Pennsylvania. I am trying to track William's other kids to see if I could find a single instance of an Archibald child.

Thomas Whittey Grimison
1857 - 1947
Elizabeth Ann Grimison
1862 - 1864
Francis "frank" Galbraith Grimison
1867 - 1939
Robert Irwin Grimison  * died at age one
1874 - 1875
Mary Jane Pedlow (born Grimison)
1860 - 1940
William Aldred Grimison
1864 - 1939
John P. Grimison
1871 - 1953
Margaret J. Grimison
1875 - 1887
Harry Wise Grimison  (mother is Ella Wise)
1884 - 1959

Confirmed: Just went through every child above and none had an offspring with Archibald in their names.

Offline katmandu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 January 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Since we can't locate 'Thomas/Archibald' as father for William, unable to locate any other family members.   I will search through the links that everyone has kindly provided.

Another interesting fact; my cousin (related through William) did the 23nme.  He says he does not have any dna related Grimison relatives?  Maybe William was adopted or Thomas/Archibald wasn't his father?