Author Topic: George & Henrietta Ketchley & William E Murphy in Boston - Help with US records  (Read 1015 times)

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for help with all of the above but mostly George Ketchley and his wife Henrietta. George joined the British Royal Navy in 1866 as a boy and then 'for real' on his 17th birthday on 28 March 1870. I have his record, it is blank.
On 23 Feb 1878 George Ketchley married Henrietta Quinn in Liverpool. George is described as a mariner. On 4th November 1878 they have a daughter, Henrietta Mary, born in Boston. She is baptised on 24th November and in the 1880 US census is in the Massachusetts Infant Asylum.
I do not know whether her parents died or whether she was abandoned.
I have a record for a marriage of a Henrietta (S)ketchley, maiden name McQueen, to a William E Murphy in Danvers in 1888. She was a widow & this was her second marriage so Quinn may be a misspelling of McQueen (or vice versa). William E Murphy was a seaman and there may be an Irish connection. I cannot find William and Henrietta beyond this date.
Can anybody help please??

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George & Henrietta Ketchley & William E Murphy in Boston - Help with US records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 24 13:39 GMT (UK) »
In case it helps anyone looking, William & Henrietta's wedding was on 6 Sep. 1888 and performed by Rev. W. M. Ayers of Danvers.  William was listed as age 43, this was his fourth marriage, and his parents were William and Lucy F.  Henrietta was age 27 and a saleslady, born in England to James & Margaret.  It looks like William and Henrietta's residence at the time of marriage was NY (New York).  It's hard to read where William was from, but it looks like 2 letters with the first being an N or V.

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George & Henrietta Ketchley & William E Murphy in Boston - Help with US records
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 24 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. The info on her parents is helpful. On her Liverpool marriage certificate she gives her father as James but this certificate does not record a mother, so now I can look in the UK for a James and Margaret together. This might indeed be the same Henrietta. Their daughter married an aide to President Coolidge and later in life records her address as The White House! Quite some journey which is why I would like to sort out the bits in between.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 January 24 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I haven’t found anything new but just thought that I would point out a couple of things:

1) Henrietta signed the marriage certificate as Quinn so the name on the certificate isn’t a mistake (eg should be McQueen).

2) One of the witnesses is Agnes Quinn, so she is possibly a sister.

Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline ValCharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 January 24 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Great point about her actually signing as Quinn. I had already picked up on the sister (?) Agnes possibility. I can't find her either!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 January 24 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Have you an occupation listed for father James?

There is a Quin family from Ireland in Liverpool with a father Felix James mother Margaret and a daughter Agnes in 1871. 

When was Henrietta born?

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 January 24 15:30 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate says ‘architect’.

And her age is stated as 21 so that would be 1857, but that is rather weak evidence.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 January 24 15:45 GMT (UK) »
@reply #5
That Agnes Quinn is 8 in 1871 so only 15 at the time of the wedding. Would she have qualified as a witness?

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 January 24 15:45 GMT (UK) »
George Ketchley

1861 census
age 7
30 Brunswick Street, Portsea, Portsmouth
father Samuel Ketchley, 39, market gardener
mother Rebecca Ketchley, 40
siblings William 14 and Gertrude 7

1871 census
age 18
ordinary seaman aboard HMS Duke of Wellington, moored in Portsmouth

Death
KETCHLEY–on the 27th ult., at Osborne-road, Southsea, Rebecca, wife of Mr. Samuel George Ketchley, aged 47 years.
Published: Saturday 07 August 1869 Newspaper: Hampshire Telegraph