Author Topic: Diary week ending 21st January  (Read 1736 times)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary week ending 21st January
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Beautiful sunny day so far  but we are predicted  a bad day tomorrow, shame that as I was going  to go out, weather permitting .

Lots of areas have snow, hope everyone keeps safe and warm.

Must admit to being a bit if an ostrich regarding  news,  I don't read or watch much of it on TV,   very depressing .

Take care everyone.
  LM

Less of the warm for me thanks, nearly 2 am and still in low 20's C and humid though coping reasonably well, do hope all good for you and others getting about though with winter weather disruptions.

I do try to follow news to a degree and less so with certain subjects, like others sometimes just headlines or just in brevity.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 14:47 GMT (UK) »
"Repaired" Vac returned - carrier shot off, - guess what, it doesn't work at all!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh ! Phone the repairers straight away if you haven’t already!

I have used my serviced sewing machine after an overhaul, and made the much needed new cover for the ironing board following L.M’s post with instructions.

It is  fine.

Thick snow and now all lumpy and frozen and treacherous.

Sunny so it might melt a bit but it could freeze again tonight.
Checked on my little friend,she expected a shopping delivery ,had used all the milk she had however they had not let her down so was O.K

The last of the chicken in a curry ,I bought some Raita but no idea what I have done with it! Left it in the self checkout or in the trolley !
So plain yoghurt with mint sauce added is not a bad substitute.

Had a bit of a problem with the machine ,at first, it is difficult to get the top thread in a little spring hidden away, if not in it clogs up and what a battle to clear it however it worked perfectly when I got that right.
Thanks Louisa Maud for the photos etc.

Well a chicken to pick over etc.
Hope all are well and take care in the treacherous icy weather.

Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria  glad you are pleased with the ironing  board cover,  I haven't made one like that before  but will have a go at sometime.

Must admit I don't do as much ironing as I used to, I always ironed tea towels but not now, fold and put away, does  the job.

Quite mild here today  I have been out for lunch with a friend, won't eat much tonight.

Keep safe everyone

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Marianthompson47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Here in Hertfordshire, it has been very cold but not a spec of snow. It had better stay that way as it is bad for humans and wildlife....

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 January 24 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Once upon a time I would see chikldren  playing snowballs on the field at the back of my home but the field is covered in virgin snow except for one trail of footprints and paw prints going diagonally across the field to a back lane.

I was up at the crack of dawn tidying the kitchen accompanied by a small fan heater that I have.  That room is always perishing cold due to any wind blowing across the moor and also  laws that state outside air  has to have access to the kitchen   

This weather reminds me of the winter when icicles hung down from the roof to the ground at our infant school.   The boiler heated the infant classroom radiators but the pump wasn't good enough to pump the hot water further than one classroom so we froze in winter.   My brother and I would run the two miles home crying our eyes out due to the cold even though we were wearing a vest, liberty bodice, home made woollen jumper, cardigan, gloves, scarf  plus coats, of course.. Our mother would be waiting with a roaring fire, a towel to rub some warmth into our bodies and a good dollop of Vick on our chests and backs.   
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 January 24 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Now awaiting carrier to collect vac. yet again! I wanted to pack it up in existing package (what it was delivered to me after "repair") so carrier could simply slap a new label on it and take it - but no, I have to re-pack it in new carton ( and carrier isn't allowed to wait all of 1 minute whilst I do that!) and wait in yet another day for a carrier to collect it!
Wonderful. Grouse over!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 January 24 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Now awaiting carrier to collect vac. yet again! I wanted to pack it up in existing package (what it was delivered to me after "repair") so carrier could simply slap a new label on it and take it - but no, I have to re-pack it in new carton ( and carrier isn't allowed to wait all of 1 minute whilst I do that!) and wait in yet another day for a carrier to collect it!
Wonderful. Grouse over!
TY

Oh hard luck .  I have no advice but you reminded me of my experience.

My daughter bought a new on the market vacuum cleaner which was wonderful.  My trusty vacuum was over 30 years old and new parts didn't fit very well so, on her recommendation I bought one too.

However, within a minute or so when it was near my leg I could feel the heat coming off the motor .   It had scarcely picked up any dust but was showing signs of something blocking the motor.

After referring to the manual but not resolving the problem I phoned the manufacturer's telephone number and spoke to a "Mary" who advised that I shouldn't stand so near to the machine.

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 January 24 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Fancy standing so near the machine ,don’t you do long distance vacuuming?
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

What an inane answer!
That would have infuriated me!

Hope you get it sorted Rena.
Viktoria.