Author Topic: Diary week ending 21st January  (Read 1737 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary week ending 21st January
« on: Monday 15 January 24 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning  all
Hope everyone had a reasonable weekend

Heavy frost on the car,  hoping  we don't get snow this week but we will  have to deal with it if it does, i don't drive in the snow normally and if i can help it  I don't walk in the snow either, it is looking quite bright this morning, the sun is lurking but chilly

Have a nice day everyone and keep warm

LM.

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary week ending 21st January
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 January 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Morning all
Very cold here. We went for a ‘blow through’ at the coast yesterday and it was lovely and sunny but the wind was bitingly cold. Last night the temp dropped into the minuses as I gather it did for several areas. Today it’s bright and sunny but still very cold.
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 January 24 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Well, listening to Gregg Shapps ( Defence) everything is escalating so quickly and so many countries involved .
We could be at war with countries whose people will flee but to where?
The areas are across Near and Middle East ,Far East including China given their level of weaponry.

Many have thought from Russia’s first attack in Ukraine that something big was starting .
Russia seems not to be as powerful as could be expected but is that a trap!
We  have reason to be very worried if Trump is elected.
He has surely been convicted of crimes,how can he stand for President ?

What a sad start to the week.

A very cold crisp day ,bright sunshine.

Hope all are well .Viktoria.

Sorry folks I lost this so did another then this appeared,have tried to delete without success.
Viktoria.

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 January 24 15:49 GMT (UK) »
In view of weather forecasts went and did a mega-shop yesterday, just in case the roads were very unsafe/weather lousy the rest of this week. So far so good. Forgot a few basic items, as didn't have a peek into fridge & freezer before setting off, but good enough haul to withstand a small siege. And a lovely blue sky today. Had to pop out and bash the ice on ponds this morning, sort the birdies out. Pity one pond pump has packed up, it used to keep the flow going in one big pond all through, normally.
Viktoria: suggest you give up watching /listening to world news. Not good for one.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 January 24 16:26 GMT (UK) »
A bit wobbly on my feet this morning!
Cold today - had to scrape ice off windscreen - off of the inside!

Drove to Boots to pick up medication, then round to auction house.
I bid on a Bristol Blue Glass goblet; hammer price £20; with fees £25.

Decided against a Tesco run. Defrosted chicken thighs, and now cooking a rogan josh.

Blue skies earlier, with white fluffy bits over Cumbria.

Spent the afternoon deciding on what ciders and perries I want for the IOM Beer & Cider Festival in April. :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Total whiteout this morning, got washing in but I’ll dry it on the clothes maiden, not risking going outside down the path.
However the birds need something ,so will wait a while to se if it thaws a bit,I might sprinkle some salt to where the bin store is,so can do the bird food then perhaps.

Don’t need any shopping today, cooked a chicken for  last nights’s evening meal so cold with Chips and salad today then a curry for Wednesday.

I know the news can be depressing but I like to be aware of things, don’t always fully grasp the possible long term effects or the machinations of power seekers.
I did not dislike Stalin ,when as a child I just knew he was on our side,as we fought Germany, my mother nearly burst a blood vessel as she explained he was only on his side and had long term plans to take over many more countries to dictate over, he was a cruel wicked man.
I was only about eight.He was called “ Uncle Joe “ in the newspapers.

Hope all are alright and the snow quickly goes, it is lovely but so dangerous for many people .
Must check on my little friend.I am not venturing out but a phone chat will cheer us both up.
Cheerio,Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
Beautiful sunny day so far  but we are predicted  a bad day tomorrow, shame that as I was going  to go out, weather permitting .

Lots of areas have snow, hope everyone keeps safe and warm.

Must admit to being a bit if an ostrich regarding  news,  I don't read or watch much of it on TV,   very depressing .

Take care everyone.
  LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Got some of the white stuff falling now, hope it doesn’t lay.  Tesco delivery due tomorrow.

I'm a bit like you re the news LM, I read it every day but just read the headline of some articles, it's all so depressing.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I opened my curtains this morning and almost heard the late Bing Crosby crooning a belated  "I'm Dreaming Of A white Christmas

I was late to bed and very early to rise due to my mind concentrating on a forlorn hope of finishing this 1000 titchy piece jigsaw sooner rather than later. I must look a real sight, as I've got a magnifying gadget on my head and a magnifying glass in my hand in an effort to enlarge the pieces.  Even the  Haricot tinned bean jigsaw wasn't as bad as this thing.   It's going to be one of those puzzles where  you know one piece doesn't fit because it's the wrong colour, then when there's only one space left, that one piece changes colour and fits snugly into the space.

Apparently we oldies are being blamed for  high house prices.  They need to learn how to barter like my generation did.   Houses weren't served on a plate, there was virtually no housebuilding  unless the government of the day allowed it.    The reason being was that the population needed feeding and when the country was visited by WWII it was  essential that every field and wild flower growing pasture had to produce food.               

I blame excessive activity on the sun and full moons for all the world's unrest.  There's something about the magnetic pull that disturbs the human brain.  I think the Russian leaders are attempting to rebuild the Soviet Union despite the wishes of some.   My late OH was once posted to NATO and I know from conversations with other nationalities who had "listening in" jobs, that they've always  had a mischievous secret service.  I once challenged a "British" member of a Scottish discussion group that he was Russian and he asked how I knew (phrasing my dear boy, phrasing :-)    ).   "
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke