Author Topic: Missing GRO Death - 1945  (Read 1418 times)

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Missing GRO Death - 1945
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 January 24 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I seem to remember you had an FOI with GRO on their conventions, etc? Did you hear anything?

Still waiting - they sent me some from the 1960s, not what I asked for.

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 January 24 15:25 GMT (UK) »
This thread has made me pursue the irony of some half-remembered facts about a house which I was taken to see when I was 6 years old.  One of my GRO rejects was a forename Norwood, a maiden name used as first or second forename for numerous people in an extended family, down to a gt gt grandchild in 1950.  For one birth in 1880, GRO has it as Horwood and will not be moved.

Norwood's father was a congregationalist minister whose work took him to Yorkshire, Cornwall, London and back. Then in 1900 he retired to the coast and built a house, which he named "The Norwoods".  The address is Trafalgar Road, Birkdale, Southport.  Sounds familiar?  If the staff at the GRO would take a stroll from their office at Smedley's Hydro they would find The Norwoods a short distance down the road.

Offline Douglas P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 January 24 23:54 GMT (UK) »
If you've contacted the GRO and they won't update their database then you could add a postem to the corresponding FreeBMD entry. Perhaps a brief note for how to find it in the new GRO index and/or an explanation of what was recorded on the certificate.

The discussions pinned to the top of the Common Room includes one on postems and how to use them.
East Kilbride:     Macaulay, Scott
Lanarkshire:      Graham, Brown, Struthers, Smith, McMillan, Napier
Dunnet:             Nicholson, Douglas
Halkirk:             Fraser, Campbell
Thurso:             Coghill, Houston
W. Lothian:       McKay
Muiravonside:   Nimmo, Robertson
Alloa:                Johnstone, Syme
Tillicoultry:         MacDonald

Online RW1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 06:23 GMT (UK) »
If you've contacted the GRO and they won't update their database then you could add a postem to the corresponding FreeBMD entry. Perhaps a brief note for how to find it in the new GRO index and/or an explanation of what was recorded on the certificate.

The discussions pinned to the top of the Common Room includes one on postems and how to use them.

Postem already done for both freebmd entries. Also an amendment request to freebmd for the mistranscription by them of one of the pair.

Anyone coming through that route will be directed to the entry in GRO.