Author Topic: Blundell family of Binsted  (Read 5140 times)

Offline RobHam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Blundell family of Binsted
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 November 05 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

If you need any particular look ups I have some of the early Binsted parish records on fiche,  the General register from 1638 to 1812 and Marriages and Banns from 1766 to 1811.

I obtained these fiches some time back to try and sort out my Hotston (various spellings) line.   Unfortunately the christening that I need is missing from the PR's,  seems to be because the ink on the relevant document page has completely faded.  I do intend one day to visit Chichester to check out the BT's for this christening.

Robert
Information contained within Census look ups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 November 05 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan.
Thanks for the info.The Mary born 1782 would be I think too old to me my Mary and the one born 1810 too young!
I will have to keep looking!
             Regards Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline jan4776

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 November 05 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

That's really kind of you and I would love to take up your offer. I have a William Blundell marry a Mary Coot in Binsted on 4 May 1724 yet I cannot find any Blundells before that date in Binsted so the chances are he didn't come from there originally. However when I looked at the marriage details it said they were both of the parish. Would that mean they had been granted settlement rights, is that how it worked? 

I can find a Mary Coot, baptised in Coates cum Burton in 1698 and the only William Blundell I can find is one baptised in Slindon in 1678, which would make him about 46 when he married. Quite old for those days but I don't think he lived for many years after he was married.  A William Blundell was buried in Binsted 1732, but I'm not sure if that was him or his son. The parish register pages were in a terrible state and are really hard to read on the microfiche. I had popped down to Chichester early on in my research.
They had four children, John , William, Mary and Richard,  between 1724 and 1731, which makes me think that it was William snr who was buried in 1732.

As with my previous postings, I'm trying to see if Richard was the same Richard Blundell who married in Stedham in 1769  and settled in Selham are one & the same. There are no settlement records that have survived for Selham. I'm hoping you may have a better copy of the Parish Registry than I looked at. Any information on them would be gratefully received.

Jan

Offline RobHam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 November 05 18:35 GMT (UK) »
I have found the following.

Cannot find any Blundell before William's m. in 1724 but the records are virtually un-readable.   Perhaps there are BT's available in Chichester for Binsted that may help.

Coot does seem to crop up through the records so there is a good chance that Mary originally came from Binsted.

I can confirm the m. of William to Mary Coot 4 May 1724 BOTP.  No other data recorded for this m.

Three burrials recorded for 1732
William 11 April - infant
Anne 13 April 1732
William 29 April

Some baptisms to William and Mary Blundell
John - 4 June 1724
Son - 26 May 1726 (name is unreadable)
Mary - 22 Jun 1729 born to William and Mary but surname is unreadable but could well be Blundell.
Richard - 1731

This looks to be little more than you already have.

Information contained within Census look ups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jan4776

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 November 05 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert

Thanks for the information,  I had been to Chichester and that is where I got the information from, couldn't read it there either. I wonder who the Anne Blundell was, she doesn't seem to be one of their children, did it have any other details about her.  I don't suppose you have the settlement details for Binsted do you. That might throw some light on the family. Mary Coot I think came from Coates cum Burton although there are other Coots in Binsted I think they may be extended family. Was there a large house in the area that they all worked in?

Jan

Offline RobHam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 November 05 20:55 GMT (UK) »
The SMI also has a m. between

Edward Blundell
Jane Bignel
17 Dec 1719 Climping

Again Edward is missing from the IGI but a good chance that he is related to William in some way.

Searching through the IGI indicates that there are many Blundel family lines in East Sussex but not too many in West Sussex.   I noticed some christenings early 1700's in Chichester and Bosham,  not too far from Binsted.  Do note that not all of the Chichester parishes are covered by the IGI.

Offline jan4776

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately I've been looking at Richard Blunden bapt in Bosham and cannot find any trace of him, he seems to have disappeared. Edward looks promising as Climping is not that far from Binsted, although it looks like I've found William baptised in Slindon along with his three sisters, Joan, Elizabeth & Sarah. His parents were William Blundell & Joan Kelsie who married in 1676. I'll have a look at Climping. Thanks
Jan

Offline RobHam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Slindon looks to be a good lead.

I checked out the BIVRI index tonight,  parishes around Binsted are not covered to any great extent but did notice a large hot spot of early Blundell's in West Sussex in Nuthurst and many in Brighton in the 1800's,  some distance from Binsted but may be of future interest to you.

My own Binsted dead end is locating the christening of William Hotson(various spellings) most probably in 1779. 

Offline jan4776

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I'll look up any avenue. Good luck with knocking down you're own brick wall.

Jan