Author Topic: Irish Scots ancestor Rev James Bain 1811 to 1881  (Read 401 times)

Offline janesmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish Scots ancestor Rev James Bain 1811 to 1881
« on: Tuesday 16 January 24 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Straid Congregational Church I have confirmed information about my ancestor.  He was minister of this church for about 40 years.  He was married and I am descended from one of his daughters.  I am confident I know who his parents were but have 'lost' the thread back to that line as to why, how and when he arrived in Ireland.  He married in 1841.  I am interested in the context surrounding his coming over to Ireland, especially as it seems his siblings and parents didnt.  He was born in Doune and died in Straid.  There is a plaque to him in the church which he built and is still there.   

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Scots ancestor Rev James Bain 1811 to 1881
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Jane and a warm welcome to Rootschat
first rule is - not all trees are correct - but this looks to be a family tree of your James Bain b Doune 1811 -
James Bain
Born January 22, 1811 - Doune,Perthshire,Scotland
Deceased

Parents
James Robertson Bayne 1780-1867
Janet Stewart 1789-/1841

Siblings
M John Bain 1809-
M Robert Bain 1809-
M James Bain 1811-
F Mary Bain 1813-
F Rachel Bain 1817-
M Alexander Bain 1819-
F Janet "Jennie" Bain 1824-ca 1913

looking at the tree - the tree owner looks to be descended from Janet "Jennie" Bain as she is the only one she has a death for - tree owner is Earla Forbes

https://gw.geneanet.org/earlaf?n=bain&oc=&p=james

so are James parents the same as you have ???

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat from me too.

There is this newspaper report of his commencing at Staid. No reasons for his move given though.
Tuesday,  June 12, 1838
Publication: Belfast News-Letter

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Lots of  other mentions of him in the papers over the years eg:

"On the 13th inst. in Dublin by the Rev. W. H. Cooper the Rev. James Bain, of Straid, County Antrim, to Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. Philip Gulley, Hardwick-street, Dublin"
Tuesday,  Feb. 25, 1840
Publication: Belfast News-Letter

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 08:39 GMT (UK) »
A lovely article about him and the new building. It's a bit long to transcribe - happy to send you a copy if you don't have access. You'll need to make 3 posts on here before you can access the personal message system where we can exchange emails.

Saturday,  Oct. 15, 1859
Publication: The Weekly Press (Belfast)

"... Upwards of twenty years ago, on the completion of an unusually brilliant college course, and with abilities and attainments that would have adorned any sphere he settled in this distant village. ..."

Offline janesmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Not quite sure how to reply to individual responses to my post but here goes.  The tree is the same,  confirming his parents.  I have the marriage announcement and this is how I discovered who he married but thank you.  I've not seen the newspaper cutting but have seen a pamphlet about 'his ministry' as part of what is called the Ulster Revival 1859.  He did seem to be quite a renowned preacher.   Finally yes please. I'd really appreciate whatever other information you could provide.  Thank you both...and I'll figure how to reply to individual posts another day.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 24 05:36 GMT (UK) »
You're doing well! If you make one more reply, we can use the personal message system. Happy to send you some articles.  :D

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 24 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Further to reply #2 above, on 5 June 1838, one week before the Belfast publication, the Globe (London) printed a line about what looks to be the same James, among many others, in a list of  'Promotions'.

Clerical and Religious Intelligence:
Promotions.
Rev. James Bain to the ministry of the Independent church of Strade.

Offline janesmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 24 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much. This is my third post so I’m looking forward to reading some of the info you have mentioned.  Thanks to your help so far, I have looked into the influence of the Haldane brothers and how this may have led to my ancestors move to Ireland - on an evangelical mission perhaps.  I can’t seem to locate the newspapers though but hopefully now I can be more focused in my research.  THANK YOU AGAIN