Author Topic: Irish Scots ancestor Rev James Bain 1811 to 1881  (Read 402 times)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Scots ancestor Rev James Bain 1811 to 1881
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 January 24 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a personal message.  :D

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 January 24 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Bain, James an Irish Congregational minister, was a native of Dundee, Scotland, but removed to Belfast; Ireland, while yet a young man, and decided to consecrate himself to the ministry.
He was educated at the Belfast College, and spent the two years succeeding the completion of his studies (1837-38) in evangelistic work in the County Antrim, preaching at two principal stations, Straid and Ballycraigg.
In 1839 he was ordained over the Church at Straid, which he succeeded in building up to a large extent by earnest labors. A new chapel was built in 1858, and afterwards enlarged, thewhole being completed in 1861. His pastorate continued in this Church for more than forty years, with eminent success in all its departments.
His health failed in 1878, and he was compelled to resign his charge in 1880. He removed to Londonderry the following year, and died July 17, 1881, having been in the ministry forty-two years.

If you do a google search there are quite a few hits for James Bain Straid Congregational Church
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline janesmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 January 24 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this.  The fact he was educated at Belfast College should be very useful to me.  I am aware of how he built up the church and when googled, the fact he is referenced as part of the Ulster Revival took me to find out about Straid church and how long he was there.  I didnt know he was minister at another church until I used this site though.  I should now be able to find when he moved to Ireland and began his studies from college records maybe.  I have come across one site where I know there are LOTS of records about his life in Straid but they are hard copies only and due to the amount of time he was there, they number too many for sending. I believe they are a sort of 'minutes of the church/parish' but can only be seen by visiting AND I cant recall where I located that knowledge.  Thank you so much though.  I can move one step further now