Author Topic: What does 'On Parish' mean in 1921 Census  (Read 237 times)

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does 'On Parish' mean in 1921 Census
« on: Tuesday 16 January 24 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

I don't know if what i am about to ask is already answered by another, similar, expression or not but here goes.

I was looking up someone in the 1921 England census and I found them, no problem. The family group includes the aunt of the wife of the head of household. She was born in Dundee and shows as 64 and 1 month. No problem so far. However, under the 'Educational' column (column h) is has "On Parish". I am thinking it means the same as "on the parish" but does it? I don't understand why it is under 'education' and not profession though.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance
Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What does 'On Parish' mean in 1921 Census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 02:01 GMT (UK) »
The only answers that should be in that column are "Whole Time" or "Part Time", so it sounds as though either the question has been misunderstood or the information is in the wrong place.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What does 'On Parish' mean in 1921 Census
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 04:54 GMT (UK) »
The only answers that should be in that column are "Whole Time" or "Part Time", so it sounds as though either the question has been misunderstood or the information is in the wrong place.

Hi Jomot,

That is what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure. I assume it was meant to be under profession. Close but no cigar I suppose.

Thank you

Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries