Author Topic: South Australia: the surname 'Capel' COMPLETED  (Read 460 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
South Australia: the surname 'Capel' COMPLETED
« on: Wednesday 17 January 24 13:45 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if any researcher has come across the surname CAPEL? My person of interest (forename not known) arrived Port Adelaide, February 1851. I'd be grateful to know of any mention of the name in the second half of the 1800s.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia: the surname 'Charlwood'
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Australia, Electoral Roll, 1856
There are entries for Arthur and Stephen Charlwood who seem to have been printers and stationers. My interpretation is that they were owner-occupiers in Lygon Street in the University Division of Melbourne but also owned other properties.

Deaths
On the 27th April 1st. at his residence, Kew, near Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, in the 62nd year of his age, of disease of the heart of many years standing, Mr ARTHUR CHARLWOOD, Bank Street, Melbourne, and late of this city.
Norwich Mercury July 1860

Another report of his death has Bourk Street as his address, his firm as Charlwood and Son, and states that he is late of Orford-hill in this city [Norwich]

Marriage of his son
Married, on the 28th Feb., at Melbourne, Charles Joseph, the youngest son of the late Mr. Arthur Charlwood, formerly of this city [Norwich], to Emily Mary, eldest daughter of Mr. R. Lewis, Melbourne.
Bury and Norwich Post May 1865

A mention in a newspaper in February 1850 suggests that he was still at Orford-hill at that date.

I have found him in the 1841 census, a printer in Norwich with a large family including a son Stephen. I cannot find any subsequent census entry. Putting all of this together he left England 1850/1851.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 15:33 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 arrival in Adelaide was for a Charlwood family - parents plus 8 children

Have you looked here?
https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-database-search

Or here?
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.recordCountry=Australia&q.surname=Charlwood

Or here?
https://trove.nla.gov.au/search/advanced/category/newspapers

ADDED LATER -   The original post asked for information about CHARLWOOD. After replies were posted, this was changed to CAPEL.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks indeed for both these informative replies. I accept that the Norwich Charlwood family of printers were indeed the steerage passengers aboard the 'Success', arriving Port Adelaide Feb 1851. This request forms part of a wider search for information about one of the Charlwoods' fellow passengers, a lady travelling under the alias 'Mrs Page'. The lady herself married a 'Page' two days after she disembarked. It's almost certain that she posed as a married woman for her own protection. It is further thought that one of her fellow passengers acted as a sort of chaperone. Sounds like the plot of a novel, doesn't it? Again, thanks for your responses.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia: the surname 'Capel'
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Extremely confused ???.

Who are we looking for?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 January 24 00:56 GMT (UK) »
I accept that the Norwich Charlwood family of printers were indeed the steerage passengers aboard the 'Success', arriving Port Adelaide Feb 1851. This request forms part of a wider search for information about one of the Charlwoods' fellow passengers, a lady travelling under the alias 'Mrs Page'. The lady herself married a 'Page' two days after she disembarked. It's almost certain that she posed as a married woman for her own protection. It is further thought that one of her fellow passengers acted as a sort of chaperone. Sounds like the plot of a novel, doesn't it? Again, thanks for your responses.

What proof do you have that this Mrs Page on the passenger list was using an alias that you say was the lady who married on 18 Feb 1851  ???

https://bound-for-south-australia.collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/1851Success.gif

James PAGE m. Susan Elizabeth ALLEN 18 Feb 1851 Adelaide, South Australia.
Page number:244/Volume Number:4

They are buried together at Mitcham Anglican Cemetery, SA:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/231081532/james-page
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/231081550/susan-elizabeth-page

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 24 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Charlwood??  Capel???

What are we looking for?

I see a birth (and death 2 weeks later :()registered in Adelaide,
   John Capel
Birth, 22 Jul. 1852 at Adelaide
Parents: John Capel,    Lucy Kilborn

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 January 24 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Just to explain to those of you who are confused: the original title of this post mentioned Charlwood and Capel, but once the question of Charlwood was resolved the OP changed the title.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 January 24 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again to those who have responded, and apologies for not having clarified the terms of my present search. To explain how we know that the 'Mrs Page', steerage paaaenger on the 'Success', was the same person as the Susan Elizabeth Allen who married James Page would involve quite a long and involved story. Suffice it to say that we are fully satisfied with this detail in our research into the Page family.

James Page, from a relatively humble background, had a titled sponsor whose identity we know and who, for reasons as yet not fully clear, was discreet (not to say secretive) in his dealings in this matter. We surmise that he would have arranged for someone to act as chaperone to this vulnerable young woman on the voyage to South Australia. This request of mine was a desperate (?) attempt to find the identity of this possible chaperone.

If there were such a chaperone, there are two possibilities. Perhaps he too settled in Australia; or (less likely) he travelled back to England, his commission having been completed.

I think that for now it will make more sense for me to look again at tracing these steerage passengers in England, hoping to find a link between one of them and the sponsor of James Page.

I am grateful to those who have shown interest in this murky matter.