Author Topic: Im at a crossroads perhaps dead end and need help  (Read 728 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Im at a crossroads perhaps dead end and need help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 January 24 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I have just reread my previous post and realised that I should have written that there is a marriage in Aberdeen Old Machar in 1886 between Charles Dalgety Stephen and Maggie Cooper Polson. I do think that it would be worth looking at this marriage cert.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 January 24 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes i was looking at that at it adds up as found a maggie & charles on the 1891 with a son (victor) who i followed and is victor dalgetty stephen on his war records (and a boarder in 1901 aged 11) seems to be a death of a Maggie C Stephen (thought C for cooper maybe) in 1898 which would account for victor being on his own as a boarder in 1901 but i see theres a margaret polson on a 1901 census in aberdeen as a servant on her own so not sure which is correct one.

If Charles is clarence then hes in prison in 1894 then off with fanny thereafter, leaving victor with maggie.  I looked for any records of maggie on the electoral registers on her own but nothing either its as if he vanished in 1891 and clarence "appears" in 1894.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 January 24 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Please see my earlier post. The Margaret C  Stephen who died in 1898 was an infant. The Margaret Polson who married Charles Dalgety Stephen died in 1913.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 January 24 15:48 GMT (UK) »
sorry william for misreading, thats definitely clarified that. Strange how shes taken her maiden name back (which i doubt a wife would do if husband died) but on the 1901 census i can only see a transcript (no image attached) theres a margaret stephen and a margaret polson recorded as 2 people.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 January 24 17:59 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census seems to have Margaret recorded as Margaret Polson or Stephen and a widow. ( This may, of course, be a fictional widowhood!).

This appears to be her death notice in the Aberdeen Daily Journal 7 March. 1913.

"Stephen - At the Royal Infirmary, Aberdeen, on 6th March, Margaret Cooper Stephen, eldest daughter of the late Alexander Polson, dancing master, aged 46 years.".

Interesting to note that her age is incorrect ( this can. of course, depend on the knowledge of the informant) as other evidence gives her birth year as 1861!

William

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 January 24 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Strange how shes taken her maiden name back (which i doubt a wife would do if husband died)

That's not uncommon in Scotland - women aren't required to give up their maiden names on marriage, so you often see widows using their maiden names after their husbands die. You'll also see married women referred to as 'Firstname MaidenName or MarriedName' on most legal records in Scotland.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline jlbriggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 January 24 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I followed charles dalgetty (clarence?) stephen siblings and found James V & John SV in london 1901, same as my clarence stephens 2miles apart, another similarity. 

My charles is with maggie(wife) and son victor in 1891  but cant find any 1891 census for parents charles & Elizabeth or sibling in 1891.  Elizabeth died in 1885 so wondering where they all went, staying in scotland or london.

My clarence dalgetty stephen is in prison 1894 then appears in london 1903 while fanny (florence) stephens is in manchester.

Also wonder why dalgetty? the other siblings have valentine as the middle name (mum is elizabeth valentine)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 January 24 20:51 GMT (UK) »
electoral register entry

Charles Dalgetty Stephen
Residence Date    1890-1891
Address    4 Belhaven Terrace, Edinburgh
Occupation    Secretary

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 January 24 21:03 GMT (UK) »
How have you concluded that his parents are Charles Stephen  & Elizabeth Valentine. Their Charles was b 1864 and in Aberdeen, not Dundee as per his prison record