Author Topic: 3rd Dragoon Guards - troops and divisions  (Read 154 times)

Offline Mary Crane

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
3rd Dragoon Guards - troops and divisions
« on: Thursday 18 January 24 03:04 GMT (UK) »
My g-g-Grandfather Michael Gaugharty was in the 3rd Dragoon Guards from October 1828 to May 1853.  I have his Army Records and his number is given as 284. I have the movements of the Regiment which were listed on an old post here, but it refers to 'a troop' and '1st, 2nd and 3rd divisions'.  Is there any way I can discover which troop/division he was in?  His Army Records do not provide this information.   
DEVON: Davey,Simmons,Pow,Vile,Judd
SOMERSET: Tyte, Millard
BRISTOL: Withers, Taylor, Tanswell, Crane, Newick
ALMONDSBURY, Withers, Gastrell
GLOS:  Heiron, Holbrow, Harmer, Shillam
LONDON:  Shaw, Vickers
IRELAND/BRISTOL: Gaugharty (and other versions)
YORKSHIRE:  Scothron/Scothorne

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Dragoon Guards - troops and divisions
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 January 24 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I would have suggested consulting the Muster Rolls for the Regiment at TNA, but as far as I can tell these only survive for the period after 1878 when he was already dead. However it was only a perfunctory search so it might be worth doing your own search using the TNA Discovery tool. If you do find a muster roll from the relevant period there's no guarantee it will show the soldiers listed by troop. I have never accessed the cavalry muster rolls so I don't know how the details were recorded.

Failing that I would suggest asking the two museums which hold some records and artifacts relating to the 3rd Dragoons: the Cheshire Military Museum in Chester and the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Museum in Edinburgh.

All that having been said, I very much doubt if there will be anything in the way of paper records relating to the troop(s) he was in. As you are probably aware the cavalry troop was roughly equivalent in size to the Infantry platoon, that is to say it consisted of one officer and around 30 - 35 other ranks. Although the composition of the troop would have remained the same for as long as was practical it is also likely that your great great grandfather was in more than one troop over his 25 year career in the Dragoons. 

Troops were not employed independently away from their regiment, so wherever in the world the Regiment was stationed, you can expect him and his troop to have gone also.The only variation would be that it is possible, as he was an experienced trooper, that he might have been employed for a period of time at the Regimental depot where he could have assisted in training the recruits.

His service record indicates that he was not promoted above the rank of private and having seen the very long list of his minor offences, this is perhaps unsurprising!

Offline Mary Crane

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Dragoon Guards - troops and divisions
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 January 24 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this information Andy.
DEVON: Davey,Simmons,Pow,Vile,Judd
SOMERSET: Tyte, Millard
BRISTOL: Withers, Taylor, Tanswell, Crane, Newick
ALMONDSBURY, Withers, Gastrell
GLOS:  Heiron, Holbrow, Harmer, Shillam
LONDON:  Shaw, Vickers
IRELAND/BRISTOL: Gaugharty (and other versions)
YORKSHIRE:  Scothron/Scothorne