Author Topic: Need help finding more records for criminal ancestor (London, England 1900-1930)  (Read 545 times)

Offline pottsy1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello All!
I am hoping that someone could help me interpret some documents or point me in the right direction of documentation I should be looking for.

I have an ancestor, Richard Potts (B.1880), who was a petty criminal and spent some time in prison. If he has a prison record, I am sure there must be a picture of him I can access.
He was found guilty of two crimes in 1906 and 1918, and also not guilty in 1924.

C.R.O No. S/66996

The London Met Archive has the Wormwood Scrubs Nominal Register of inmates, but for some reason the register is missing dates of his entry to the prison (8th May 1918). I cannot find anything for his 1906 arrest, just 3 months of 'hard labour'. When I am back in the UK I will go to the archive and look myself.

Could anyone help me? I would really appreciate any input!

Kind regards,
Ed

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding more records for criminal ancestor (London, England 1900-1930)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if you have seen the image below with regard to his 1906 escapade, from the East End News and London Shipping Chronicle, 22 June 1906 (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help finding more records for criminal ancestor (London, England 1900-1930)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 24 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Could this be his escapade in 1918? Image from the Police Gazette, or, Hue and Cry, 17 May 1918 (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 24 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can't see a picture of him but wife and 4 kids pictures on a family  tree on Ancestry.
Strange there is none of him.

Ciderdrinker

Offline pottsy1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 24 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help! The newspaper clippings are an interesting read, he sounds like an interesting character...

I will have to do a more detailed search, maybe see if I can contact some of his direct ancestors!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 24 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I asked for a mug shot for a prisoner in London at a London archive,  no mug shots available,  I would liked to have had his picture in my home, hope you manage to get one Pottsy

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 24 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Could this be his escapade in 1918? Image from the Police Gazette, or, Hue and Cry, 17 May 1918 (image courtesy of Find My Past)

C.L.S. in this context (as in the image) is County of London Sessions. So for this sort of date the full details of his conviction, and a physical description, might be on FindMyPast in the series MEPO 6 (Habitual Criminals Register).

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 January 24 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes there is a description
Scar on cheek ,5ft 9 fresh complexion.Brown hair ,bl eyes (I presume blue eyes)
Tattoo SG and JG r and five dots left arm.AP right wrist. He's a carman and the address you have.

Ciderdrinker

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 24 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Yes there is a description
Scar on cheek ,5ft 9 fresh complexion.Brown hair ,bl eyes (I presume blue eyes)
Tattoo SG and JG r and five dots left arm.AP right wrist. He's a carman and the address you have.

Ciderdrinker

I thought that I would book mark 'MEPO 6 (Habitual Criminals Register)' on Find My Past for future use but I can't find it. Can you give me a link please?