Author Topic: Deaths of Babies  (Read 1703 times)

Offline jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths of Babies
« Reply #36 on: Monday 22 January 24 12:43 GMT (UK) »
My little granddaughter was born prematurely at 26 weeks (normal pregnancy being about 37 weeks).  She lived for just 4 minutes, but her lungs were not sufficiently developed for her to be able to breathe and the doctors were unable to save her.  Because she had been born alive the birth and death had to be registered and a funeral service was held.  Apparently because she had reached the stage of 26 weeks of pregnancy this was necessary legallly.  Her tiny white coffin was buried in the family's country churchyard.    Had she been born a few weeks earlier it would have been counted as a miscarriage and the birth and death registration and would not have been required, I understand.
I'm so sorry GillG. I've often wondered if anyone else actually gets over it. I'm still seriously affected 17 years later, after we lost two grandchildren within a year. Same problems.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 22 January 24 13:39 GMT (UK) »
We used to reckon on 40 weeks being full term .
So 26 weeks would by that reckoning be at least three and a half months too early.
I worked on a prem baby Unit at what was Crumpsall Hospitall prem baby unit.
The equipment was nothing like so sophisticated as nowadays.
We reckoned 7 days from start of the last menstruation, and nine calendar months on from that.It was very accurate.
We needed that as a baby’s involuntary movements like breathing are not well developed at so early in the pregnancy and with equipment quite rudimentary it was a battle to save them.

I feel deeply for those who have lost such little souls.
All I can say is we loved them and also grieved when we did not succeed .
They were treated with respect ,even the gentleman who took them away from the ward ,cradled them and I have seen him weep too.
It never became  just a routine .
They were babies.
Viktoria.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:03 GMT (UK) »
I often show some interest in ancestors and their siblings dates of conception as well as birth, or at least rough times of year. My great aunt was born 27 April 1926, so I would say she was conceived around late July 1925.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AntonyMMM for clarifying the details in my earlier response.  My son and daughter in law were so distraught at the time that it was difficult for us to understand all the legal requirements.

Jimbo  No, you don't get over it, do you?  It's 10 years ago since our little granddaughter died and her parents are still grieving for her, as are we.  My husbands tends the little grave lovingly.  She was a much longed for child, conceived after several miscarriages and they have not been able to have any more children since.  What makes it even more difficult for them is that my daughter's daughter is now 10 years old and the two little girls would have been around the same age, so they must make comparisons about what their daughter would have been doing, had she lived.  My son, who had been present at the birth, later suffered from PTSD, having flashbacks to that day.  He had been suppressing his grief while trying to comfort his wife.  We were able to see the little one and the nurses had wrapped her in a shawl and cap and placed her in a tiny Moses cradle.  They were all very kind.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I seem to recall that there is no LEGAL requirement to have an actual funeral?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 22 January 24 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps AntonyMMM can clarify this for us. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 22 January 24 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I seem to recall that there is no LEGAL requirement to have an actual funeral?
TY

The only legal requirement is that the death must be registered. If you read my reply #20 you will see you can bury in your garden, subject to certain restrictions.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 22 January 24 23:19 GMT (UK) »
When I worked on the Premature Baby Unit at what then was Crumpsall Hospital, we had to wash premature babies when they had come to our unit and were put  in incubators ,they came straight from the delivery room and were so tiny and fragile they were not washed there but came straight to the unit .
When stabilised we could attend to them .
If they did not make it we also washed them,like tiny perfect dolls ,then they were placed in pretty little “ Angel Pockets “, tiny hand knitted sachets a bit like the old triangular sweetie bags .We made some at our church .
A knitted square ,placed like a diamond shape, the two side pieces folded over to make a little triangular pocket,  the tiny baby placed inside and the top folded over ,then tied with ribbon .They were so lovely and pretty .
Of a little comfort to the family.
Those babies were lovingly cared for and respected , we wept over them and also the lovely man who had to take them from the ward  often had tears in his eyes.
We could hold them in one hand , it was very sad.
 Very premature babies did not survive so well all those years ago.
Now it is astonishing how many very premature babies do .
.At least at that hospital the little tiny souls were loved, meticulously monitored and cared for .
We were busy but gentle stroking was done often as we could not always take them out of the incubator, but they needed human contact and voices,babies in the womb hear their mother speaking so mothers came to the unit when well  enough and spoke to their babies .
It is a bereavement though, and needs kindness and understanding .
Years ago women were not encouraged to talk about it, how very cruel that was.
My sincere sympathy to anyone who has suffered such a loss .

I lost a non identical twin in what was diagnosed as a miscarriage , to be admitted the next day for a D& C ,this was a Locum’s diagnosis but my GP had phoned from his holiday to enquire if any special cases needed his attention .I was mentioned so he drove from the coast(  this was in Belgium)
and came to see me, he did not agree so told me to take no more of the tablets which were to prepare me for the procedure next day,took a urine sample and that went to the hospital lab and I was still pregnant .
A safe delivery six months later and after a while - about a year later I was told I had lost a non identical twin.( two placentas)
Having a healthy full term baby did soften the loss and at three months the twin was not viable of course but I become somewhat bewildered when I try to sort it out in my mind , I have never fully addressed it.
No prayers said ,no grieving at the time, it is still incomplete to me.
I think about it from time to time but there is nothing I can do , but it does make me sad and bewildered .
I had had a dreadful time with morning noon and night sickness ,probably dehydrated which it is now known cause miscarriages .
Viktoria.

Offline jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that insight Viktoria. God bless you. x