Author Topic: Legacy Software Version 9  (Read 239 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Legacy Software Version 9
« on: Thursday 18 January 24 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm owning up here to still being a User of Legacy software for my family history...
I've tried numerous free trials of other software but somehow nothing really fits.
A force of habit thing I suppose....

I know Legacy is pretty much of a disaster on the visual front but I'll ignore that for its clarity of outlay. The only thing that I really  don't like is with its fiddliness with photos.
The blurb on the latest (and that's already old!) Legacy 9 Deluxe is that photos can now be added with Drag and Drop.
I'd like to know if that does work with edition 9 and if it really is that  easy.
It also promises a Cloud backup....anyone any experience of this?
Grateful for any user comments!
Rebel (the first)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Software Version 9
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 January 24 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Try asking your questions here.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LegacyUserGroup/
I also use Legacy and have done so since it first came out.
This group is very helpful with everything to do with the program
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline F1fan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 24 07:58 GMT (UK) »
I have a confession as well, I much prefer Legacy to others I have tried ( apart from GRAMPS ) but really miss the mapping. There are ways around this but would prefer it being in the software rather than having to do other things to get the data into other programs.

Legacy 10 is a very quiet rumour and as they are now owned by My Heritage I hope they are working on combining Legacy and Family Tree Builder to bring the best parts of the two together, but who knows.

Unfortuantely the cloud backup part was also removed a few years ago, money for data storage or security I'm not sure.

I have not used the drag & drop myself, but has been available since 2015 http://www.michiganfamilytrails.com/2015/02/tuesdays-tip-dragging-dropping-pictures.html

Hope this helps  :)
Sawyer, Rutty - Wiltshire
Double - Suffolk
Templeman - Nottinghamshire
Senior, Blakeb(o)rough - Yorkshire

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 24 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for those helpful answers.
I completely missed that Legacy had been bought up by MyHeritage (I was actually under the impression it belonged to FamilySearch)
That was in 2017 and it was promised then that a Legacy 10 would be available "very soon" !
 How long does it take a Tech team to provide a New Look and some new features?

Whatever, it's only about 26 US Dollars for the Upgrade at the moment , I might just give it a try
Rebel
PS Glad to hear that I am not the last of a dying breed re using Legacy! Although back in the day I think it was the only software around..