Author Topic: Pronunciation help: Croftindaker  (Read 333 times)

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pronunciation help: Croftindaker
« on: Thursday 18 January 24 23:13 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandparents had a croft by Knockando called Croftindaker. Does anyone from the area know what the local pronuncation of Croftindaker would be? I'm reasonably sure how we've always said it talking about it here in Canada is probably not right. Thank you!
Fraser, Mackenzie, McLean, Macrae and others of Shieldaig and Moray

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pronunciation help: Croftindaker
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 24 01:01 GMT (UK) »
There's a video to help actors speak with a Scottish accent.  the "r" in any word is important so it should assist you with how your ancestors soke.

https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/how-to-do-a-scottish-accent-75895/
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 24 07:53 GMT (UK) »
There is no such thing as a single Scottish accent. That web site might be useful if you were auditioning for a part as a Glaswegian, but it's useless as a guide to pronunciation in the rest of Scotland. Just reading through some of it made me cringe, even without watching the videos (which for some reason decline to play on my PC). I have never, ever, heard anyone use any of those supposedly 'popular' phrases other than ironically, and even then only very seldom.

Nor have I ever heard anyone actually speak about Croftindaker (have to admit I've never actually heard of it at all, and it doesn't seem to be listed on the Scotland's Places web site or on LIBINDX), so I can't be sure about it. I would expect to pronounce it croft-n-DAY-kr but be prepared to be corrected.

BTW I live about 20 minutes' drive from Knockando.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 24 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Link attached to a publication about Croftindaker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Croftindaker-Heritage-Story-Thomsons-Knockando/dp/B08P3VZGK7

Like Forfarian I live quite close (about 20 miles) from Knockando and one of my sons taught at the school there until last year. I’ll ask him for his thoughts and report back.
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline Calleva

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 January 24 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Couldn’t resist sharing part of the script from ‘The Blood Donor’ where Hancock uses what he thinks is colloquial Scottish with a splendid response by Doctor McTaggart..
Patton Antrim, Stockton on Tees
Smith Elgin, Skye of Curr, Speyside
Cumming Speyside
McQueen Speyside
Gentleman Hawick
McPhee Lanarkshire

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 January 24 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Nor have I ever heard anyone actually speak about Croftindaker (have to admit I've never actually heard of it at all, and it doesn't seem to be listed on the Scotland's Places web site or on LIBINDX), so I can't be sure about it. I would expect to pronounce it croft-n-DAY-kr but be prepared to be corrected.

Thank you. That's about how we've been pronouncing it, too.

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 January 24 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Link attached to a publication about Croftindaker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Croftindaker-Heritage-Story-Thomsons-Knockando/dp/B08P3VZGK7

Like Forfarian I live quite close (about 20 miles) from Knockando and one of my sons taught at the school there until last year. I’ll ask him for his thoughts and report back.

Thanks. That book is a collaboration of many of my cousins, primarily the late Roger Keight, with the torch picked up by Jason Nitz, to assemble the family history of the Thomsons of Croftindaker. :)

And thanks very much for asking your son. I appreciate it.

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 January 24 17:38 GMT (UK) »
There's a video to help actors speak with a Scottish accent.  the "r" in any word is important so it should assist you with how your ancestors soke.

https://www.backstage.com/magazine/article/how-to-do-a-scottish-accent-75895/

Thanks. Accent isn't the issue (and as someone else noted, there's SUCH a wide variation in regional Scots and Scots-accented English), but I'm wanting to know whether it's read as written and, if so, whether it's a long A  and if that syllable is stressed, etc.

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 January 24 17:46 GMT (UK) »

Since you live close, I thought you might be interested in the attached map, from a document compiled by my cousin using a scan of a paper map, so I have no idea of the copyright of it, unfortunately.